Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

evosmudge

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
We're having an isolated issue using Outlook in our office. We have Mi8 hosting our emails and all 5 employees share the same email. Recently, one laptop continually disconnects and reconnects in Outlook, which makes it difficult to save and send emails. It uses a wired connection when in office and wireless at home. Even with the wireless disabled in the office, the problem continues.

All the settings are the same as it were when there were no issues. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue? Could the built-in network card be failing and is there anyway to test this?

Thanks in advance.

Might seem a bit off the wall but.... Is the laptop in question a DELL machine? If so, does it have the 'Quickset' utility installed?

As for testing the NIC. It really depends on the make of laptop but you may be able to access a diagnostic area on startup with the press of an F key for instance... a bit like going in to safe mode via F8. Might be worth googling that for the model you have there. I know DELL has this option on startup for instance.

Hoping you have resolved this as just noticed the date of your post.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

The laptop is a late model Compaq Presario I believe and there are no utilities for diagnosing the unit. One morning, I switch the network cable to another port on switch and the problem went away for the day. The problem came back the following day so I am guessing it's an IP or firewall issue.

I'm wondering if a fresh install might fix the problem. If I were to do an image file, would that just replicate the entire drive and possible copy the issue in question?

An image of the machine will indeed copy all the problems with it so you'd be no better off.

Is it only Outlook that drops the connection or is it a drop off in network connection?
Have you checked the power set up on the laptops network card? It might be dropping off when it's idle but then you would be loosing entire network connection then.

How are you connecting to Mi8? (excuse my ignorance... POP or Exchange?)

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back