Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook - Delete off server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey,

I have been using both Outlook/OE for years (normally Outlook) but one thing that annoys me is the inability of Outlook to delete mails off the server without downloading.

Now i presume the reasoning of this is because it is designed for a client/server scenario... but that doesnt help me. There is certain emails, i dont wanna bother downloading - let alone viewing.

Anyone got any ideas?? is there a 3rd party add on to do it?? or some snazzy coding??

Thanks all

TIA

Dan

----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

ok, i don't know everything but i have never knew that outlook or outlook express could ONLY download the headers. and if so how would it delete them off the server before download? could you or someone else please educate me? all this time i've been going to mail2web to do that.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

First of all, what do you mean with 'server' ?
An Exchange server or your ISP's?

Alterantively, you can use IMAP to view the messages.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

oh yeah i was thinking of just useing a POP server

[americanflag]

i haven't used IMAP with outlook, can you just download the headers with it?

[americanflag]

No, but you don't download anything. You see them but there is no transfer until you open them. That allows you to delete the one you want without reading them, which saves you traffic and time.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

thats what "downloading headers" means, and after doing a little research, thats what i found it does. (not trying to be a smartass) i wish we had IMAP support to help with all this spam before it hits my "inbox". :-(

[americanflag]

Sorry but IMAP is NOT what "downloading headers" means!
It may sound like it, but it is not.
You can best compare it with WebMail, exept you use a real mailapp.
There are some mail apps and tools that let you really just Dl the headers, just browse a little through and .

Marc
[/sub]

I am talking about an ISP`s POP server... with outlook it downloads all email... but with OE in rules, you can make one saying "if.... don`t download from server, and delete off server".

In Outlook, you cannot make a rule such as this.

TIA

Dan

Plank , that is why I suggested using IMAP, if your ISP offers it, check with them first.

Marc
[/sub]

Why is this anything to do with IMAP??

I can do this on EXACTLY the same server (POP) with OE... all i want to do is to do the same on Outlook. Surely i dont need to change server, all i am looking for is a tiny bit of the functionality on OE - that i would like to use in outlook.

TIA

DAn

Outlook does not let, you, THAT is why I suggested IMAP.
If you want to work the way OE works, use OE. There is no 2 ways about it.

Marc
[/sub]

ISP doesnt support IMAP

I know "Outlook does not let, you, THAT is why I suggested IMAP." - hence the first post saying "inability of Outlook to delete mails off the server without downloading"

All i was asking was there any 3rd party software or coding that can do this?? Thats all.

If you are answering No to this that is fine.... if anyone can do this that would be great.

Dan

P.S. I dont use OE cause i dont like OE.

OK, too bad the ISP does not supoort it.
I already posted on 3rd party soft.
"There are some mail apps and tools that let you really just Dl the headers, just browse a little through and "

Marc
[/sub]

Just came to think of it, you may want to check out
Marc
[/sub]

e-res-q
is a good little program we use when troubleshooting email issues for users. you can get it from download.com

[americanflag]

Plank,

Many e-mail applications do have the ability to download headers only. An example of such an application is Pegasus Mail. It's freeware and can be found at The term used by Pegasus is "Selective Mail Download". The latest version has a somewhat Outlook-like interface, as an option.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back