Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook data recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccicg

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
US
ok I feel stupid, I should be able to do this and belive I have more than once in the past, but as usual microsoft makes nothing easy.

I am using outloook 2000, hard drive developed bad sectors and it will not boot (but I can view the files - mbr is screwed or something), so I installed a new drive and office 2000 with outlook 2000 again. Thought it would be easy to get my data back into outlook but I cannot figure out how for some reason. I spend a lot of my time retrieving and moving data for small businesses and can't do it for myself!!! The import export stuff only works if you have actually exported you data to some sort of a file. Try to import the *.pst files directly off the old drive and I get nothing but another set of personal folders with nothing in them. I fanyone can help I will really appreciate it. I could use my contacts, calendar and notes too if anyone knows how to get those back!

Thanks,

Catalyst

Very odd as all the email, contacts, calendar and tasks are saved in the pst file which is automaticlly named mailbox.pst unless you change it. Are you sure you are not missing the correct pst file from your old drive? I know it is a darn stupid question, but it has to be a pst file somewhere on your old drive that you haven't extracted. If you are running Windows 2000/XP make sure you get the PST from your profile! Check the date on the PST files as to when it was last accessed which will determine if you have the right one or not.

I am sure you know all of this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back