Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Contacts will not be address book

Status
Not open for further replies.

flareman

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Some time ago I had some issues trying to get my PDA to sync with Outlook. (It still won't but I guess that's another issue). During the attempts to debug I reinstalled Outlook (I'm using 2000). When it booted it had a new .pst so I had to look around for the old one. Eventually I found it and imported the data (although I had to use a third party program to crack a password I didn't even know was there ???). Everything is there, BUT, the contacts folder will not become an address book. When I look at properties, the address book check box is greyed out. In consequence, none of my correspondence logs in the Journal and emails do not register in the contacts folder. When I look at "Address Book", it just has a couple of things which I have done recently.
Any ideas?

Check Tools, Services. If missing, add 'Outlook Address Book'

smah
Thanks for taking an interest.
I looked at this. I already have "personal address book" from this option and don't see "outook address book" in the list of options to load.
Incidentally I tried a back door approach through "Control panel|Mail" but when I right click properties the message says "you don't have enough resources to do this .. close programs and try again" even when I don't have anything running and have cleaned out background routines using task manager. I'm getting very frustrated at this.

Are you running Outlook in Internet Mail Only mode or Corporate/Workgoup mode? Also what SP level? See Help, About Outlook.

I'm running Outlook 2000 in workgroup mode. I don't really need to do this becuase I don't share across a network, except that I do want to share information with my PDA. As I already said above, that's another problem right now which may be connected to the address book issue. The PDA will connect but will not sync and sends me into a long debug routine which doesn't solve the problem.
That's why I feel, if I can work around what is screwing up the address book, I might hit all the problems together.
The HELP routines in Outlook send me the same route as the PDA debug.
It's definitely something in the "Office" set up because PC sees the PDA just fine for everything else.

"SP" level ?? 2000 ?

You should be able to add 'Outlook Address Book' in Services (just above Personal Address book). "SP" level means Service Pack. After re-reading your first post (where you reinstalled), you probably do not have any SP's installed (would be visible in Help, About Outlook). Before we go much further, you should probably update to SP3.

Will do.
I'll get back to this thread if it's a no-go.
Thanks for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back