Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook connection to server

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a w2k3 exchange server servicing about 300 clients in a k12 school district. We have started having clients randomly report loosing there connection to the server. It is not an across the board problem and only effects about 5% of clients. Once a client starts to do it, the problem is pretty continuous. Troubleshooting shows no real connection issues to the server. I have started a ping session from a client to the exchange server when the problem is occuring and will get <1 ms return as the connection is lost. The clients all immediately reconnect and work just fine. I know I could turn off the notification but I would really rather figure out what the problem is. When the connection is lost an entry in written in the local event log but nothing is recorded on the server.

Any thoughts?

Jon

I recall having an issue like this, to the point that I had to open a case with MS.

Here's what you need to check.

1. Version of Outlook your users have. Make sure your affected users have the same version as those not having issues.
2. Make sure you've applied all HotFixes to Outlook. Some hotifxes deal with RPC communication issues, so you may need some of those.
3. If you have users with older versions of Outlook, the older versions are not compatible with the new RPC implementation in EX2003, so must upgrade those.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend nothing earlier that Outlook XP - Realistically Outlook 2003 running in cached mode. In Cached mode, users will never know they lost a connection... however, if it really is a connection issue, you've got bigger problems.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back