Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook closes while composing. Uninstall fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferl4

Technical User
Jan 5, 2003
US
i am running win2000pro sp3 on a RAID.office 2000. for some reason, outlook suddenly closed with an error message as i was composing an email reply..at first i thought it had something to do with indenting the email sent to me as i was answering it line by line...this happened each time i tried to reply to the email...i then tried to uninstall outlook...but the uninstaller fails "error 2755"...i researched ms info, but could only find it was an access error...i am not running the server version..the cd rom is fine...that is when the installation ( or unistall ) seems to fail...when it accesses the cdrom...all updates are installed for both win2000 & office. i run norton internet security..no bugs..i don't understand why the installer (msi.dll) fails...it is not generating an error log..so i have no way to uninstall ms office2ooo..hmm..i have tried to see if the cdrom has a security issue, but i am the only user & i'm logged on as the administrator...win2000 is installed on the same identical hard drive that was in my prior system ( before i migrated to my new motherboard & RAID controller)
perplexed,
jennifer :)

dear dreamboat, unfortunately, i did not wait long enought to read your reply...i had been working on the system for about 8 hours and decided it would be easier to reload everything...well, sort of....haha
i believe you had the right answer, however...i never knew the "repair" option was there until while i was reinstalling programs, i happened to click on "tech support"...then i read about it in one of my books...OOPS~!..haha..i was conviced MSI was toast , so that's why i proceeded...in the meantime i tried to edit the register...when i tried to restore a key i had removed, the entire subdirectory was eliminated....WOOOAH>..that was what pushed me over the edge...
so, in all fairness, you gave me a great suggestion..i just didn't get a chance to try it yet..i am about to post another thread because my cdrom is not displaying all of the "web page" for cd's e.g., drive image's cd displays, but without any buttons to click..more about that later
thanks,
jennifer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back