Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook clients cannot logon to E2K after MS RPC Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortenrasmussen

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
DK
I've just applied an update from Microsoft to our E2K server. The update is to prevent hackers from exploiting a weekness in the RPC DCOM module in Windows.

I did that yesterday and rebooted the Exchange.

We have clients logging on with their Outlook from outside the Internet (Not OWA - but that we have setup too).
The users are prompted for username, passw. and domain. and then I get a information box that the information layer could not be opened.

I have the E2K set up as a Global Catalog Server - and has added a specific port mapping into regsrv32.exe. Port 5003.

It all worked very well since january and now I can't get it to work anymore.
Clients on my LAN works fine.
Outlook Web Access is also OK.

If anyone has tips or suggestions of what to do I would appreciate a tip. Thanks,

Morten Rasmussen

Dear All
I also had this problem but it has been resolved.
if the ISP has blocked 135 and 445 ports. the outlook syncronization would not take place.

to test it we can do
dial the vpn and login
on command prompt write
telnet <your servers VPN IP address> 135

if it gives connection host on 135 port not found it means the port is blocked.

if port is open it connects and gives you the blank screen.
oce the blank screen is there the outlook syncronization will take place.

system is windows 2000 SBS with 98/2 clients
Similar problem except only some LAN users get error messages. (Your logon information was incorrect.....)
I have not been able to figure out why some PC's and not others.
PS this was after sp4 and blaster patch applied.
The registry mod (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols)
makes no difference.
The SP4 patch nearly killed the system so i am reluctant to roll it back and I got hit by blaster virus so that has to stay.
PS all client computers setup with disk imaging system so they all should be the same (except for a minor changes to installed applications). Maybe it's the SID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back