Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook clients cannot connect to Exch info store

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISBoston

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello. I recently changed the IP addressing scheme within the subnet of a remote office from one set of private IP's to another set of private IP's. Everything went well, except for one peculiar problem: now, the Outlook client on each of the PC's on this subnet is unable to connect to the Exchange information store. I have confirmed that the correct Exchange server is listed in the mail profiles for each of these PC's. But, when I run Outlook on these PC's, they attempt to connect to the Exchange server, but time out with the error message about being unable to connect to the info store.

Everything was working great before the address changeover. What could be causing this problem with connecting to the Exchange server?

James Bedsole
Boston

I hope this is not too simple a suggestion, but can you ping the Remote clients from the console of the exchange server, and also can you ping the exchange server from the remote clients - by host name or IP address.

If you have changed the IP addressing, have you changed the default gateways, and any other IP information.

hope this helps !

Yes, evz, I can ping the Exch server at the main office (both by name & IP address) from each Outlook PC, and I can ping the remote subnet PC's from the Exch server.

But when I look at the Outlook mail profiles on the remote PC's, and look at the Exch server properties, I am NOT able to resolve the mailbox names when I click "check name". So, for some reason, the mailboxes on not being found.

J. Bedsole
Boston

Try pinging the EX from the client by name and see what IP is resolved.
If you get the old address, then it's either HOSTS file with old IP's or you have a WINS problem.
Since OL uses NETBIOS name you need WINS or WINS enabled DNS server (Win2k/XP clients in AD) to be able to resolve the EX name.
If you do have WINS server, try checking for static entries - they are not updated and may point to the old address.
Try clearing all WINS db and it will be created again
Check for WINS replication server that may send old and wrong entries

LZ

When using the "resolve name" in Outlook properties - this is actually using DNS. Check your DNS settings on your clients and verify that your new Exchange server IP is listed correctly on your DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back