Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook clients cannot access exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyheatrick

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2000
AU
This is a bit of a tricky one.

I have a LAN with exchange server 2k running. All Outlook clients on the local LAN have no probs in accessing the ex2k server.

I have several remote sites that conect to our LAN via VPN. They use a mixture of cable, DSL and standard modem to access the internet which they use to establish a VPN to our local LAN.

All remote users can access the intranet, file and print servers etc... and can ping the ex2k server.

None of the remote users that have a cable or DSL connection to the internet can use Outlook or OWA to send receive email. The OWA just hangs when they try and use that and the Outlook client stops responding and freezes up.

Remote users who connect to our network using standard modems to create the VPN over the internet however have no trouble in sending/receiving mail.

This is really bugging me.....any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Kenny

PS- there has been a couple of exceptions to the rule and some remote cable/DSL users have been able to connect intermitently to the ex2k server using both OWA and the Outlook client.

I think this is a firewall issue. The Outlook client, if I remember right, uses RPC to connect to the E2K server so you may need to open up RPC ports on your filewall (but this is not a good idea for security reasons).

You could try and persuade your users to use OWA (via the VPN) and then you only need to open up port 25 on your firewall. (I recommend running OWA on a Front End server for extra security though ... I'm running in on a desktop machine (w2K serv and e2K installed).

Hope this helps.

Ensure that the IP address of your local dns is set as the primary dns on the client machines.

And just FYI - DO NOT POINT Win2k Servers to ISP for DNS. :) Use forwarders.

When I use VPN I can open Outlook. I don't cause RPC over the net is crap. I Terminal Server into a box at work and use Outlook on it. If not I use OWA. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Why is it that I cannot use Outlook at all though?? It stops responding as does outlook express.

Also OWA begins loading the inbox page but just seems to stop.... displaying a white page. In the status bar it says opening page as if it knows the server and everything but just doesnt quite get there!!

I am seeing similar problems with remote users with Outlook locking up over a VPN (Netscreen in my case). I am very interested in any solutions. I am currently testing a local AD domain controller with local DNS to see if this resolves the issues. Will let you know. You can test RPC communication at least in part with RPCPing which is on the Exchange CD in the support folder. Don't know how accurate the utility is- does someone know? Also some success with the remote clients being offline and sending/receiving using existing connection.My problems are intermittant- very annoying.

I tried the RPC ping from the remote site with success......urrrrrhhh. This indicates to me that the Application level of the TCP/IP stack is working OK.

I too have had some users report intermittant behaviour with both outlook and OWA. But it mostly doesnt work just hangs or freezes.

Please help!!

Dudes

I have resolved this problem. It was a bug in Service Pack 2 which I installed on my exchange server.

There is a hotfix provided by microsoft.....you can learn more about this by using Microsoft's KB article Q301337.

Hope this helps you guys cause it was the solution I was looking for!!

Kenny

This is a fix for Windows 2000 SP2. Not Exchange SP2 :) Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back