Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Client with Groupwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
I read and read and nowhere do I see that the calendar and contacts functions work properly. Does anyone do this? See we are considering converting from Exchange to Groupwise, NT to Netware, and a lot of the higher ups, although have no idea what's on the backend, feel it's a "status" symbol to use Outlook in the corporate world, therefore are fighting me on this. I just want to ask them if THEY would like to administer this stinking system for a few weeks and see what they think then. Anyway...... if this is possible, there will be little change to them as they will still be using Outlook...

Anyone out there have an opinion on this? Thank you!
Steve

Here is what I know about the Outlook client.

If you are using GW5.5EP, the outlook client is built into the system.

If you are using GW5.5, you need to downloaded as indicated in the other thread.

If you have GW6, I don't believe there is a outlook snap-in at this time. I know there wasn't a month ago, so unless things changed in that time frame, we are out of luck in GW6.

Many/Most of the features do work. I have used it and for what I do it works fine.

Bruce

can anyone shed any light on GW6 w/Outlook XP client? We're a GW6 shop and I also had Outlook 2k to POP email from another mail server. I got a Pocket PC and it came with Outlook XP and the MS ActiveSync software so I threw it on. Surprisingly, the Outlook upgrade threw out my Outlook 2k configuration (pop server, etc) and installed a Groupwise interface. Lo and behold, it reads all the GW email, it interfaces with the GW calendar (I can add calendar entries using outlook and they show up in GW), the Outlook contacts are from GW, but I cannot send any email. mv

GroupWise 6 has the Outlook integration built into it. Outlook XP will not work GroupWise 6 but I understand (I haven't upgraded yet) it will with SP 2.

There are a great variety of ways to use GroupWise with your PDA. You can use GroupWise Wireless, WebAccess, POP3/IMAP, or some third-party synchronization software to get GroupWise mail but it depends on how you're connecting.

If you have GroupWise 6, an install of MS Outlook will allow you to sync over the USB cable.

1. Install GroupWise 6 client.

2. Install MS Outlook, it will automatically use GroupWise.

3. Install MS Active sync (enclosed with PDA)

Using Wireless you can use Internet Explorer with Webaccess (nice!) or Outlook with a POP3 server (built into the GroupWise Internet Agent).

A comprehensive summary of GroupWise PDA synchronization options can be found at this link:

I also am having problems with Groupwise 5.5 and Outlook 2k2. I am trying to keep the two seperate, so I can keep both personal and business items on my Ipaq. I don't want to synch all my work email, just my home email. Anyway, this was working, until I installed the Outlook update. I can now no longer access my address book in GW. I had our IT guys come, but they really didn't fix it. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

You didn't say whether you're on GroupWise 5.5EP or 5.5 or which Service Pack (SP) is being used. There are several fixes for Outlook 2K2 (aka XP) in the latest Service Packs for boty 5.5 and 5.5EP.

The most recent versions are GroupWise 5.5 EP SP4 and GroupWise 5.5 SP5.

In the issues stated to be fixed "The client integrates better with Outlook XP" appears so it may improve your situation. I hear from other sources that broken Outlook client features are fixed with the latest SP.

Ask your IT department what Service Pack they're on and if they're not on the latest then ask when they're considering applying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back