Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook cannot save atatchment or open document 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocb

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2003
NO
Have a user with Outlook problems. Outlook cannot open attachments, nor save them to disk, what ever folder we choose. We have tried to make Outlook open attachemnts in a new temp-folder, we have tried to empty the internet folder, but nothing happens. When he doubleclick on the attachment the Outlook says "Cannot open file". If we try to save the attachment, both from right-click and from the file-menu save -> attachments, we see the save as... dialouge, but when we press OK, the Outlook says "Cannot save attachment".

We also tried to delete outlook.cmd and outlook.dat file in application data folder.

Any other ideas? Something strange in his profile for sure, but where are the problems? If he gives us right to open his mailbox, and we open from another computer, we can save the attachments from all his mails, only not on his computer, so I will suggest that the problem is around his profile, but where..

If it's not rights and not a blocked attachment type then it is most likely a corrupt profile.

Suggest creating a new profile for the user with the same data files and accounts but under a different profile name and try that. If it works make it the default.

Jock

I have tried this but it doesn't help. Both new Windows profile and mail profile. Gets back to the same error message. This is a complete new PC. No idea what else I can try?

I'd guess a damaged temp folder or temp environenment variable. Comppare both the %temp% & %tmp% environment variables on this problem machine to a working one.

Alternatively, have you tried 'Detect and Repair'?

What I have tried:

- change regedt settings to make Outlook use another temp-folder
- empty temporary internet files
- delete all outlook files(forms, cmd-files etc) in Local settings and Program settings under his profile-folder
- Make a complete new profile
- make a new mail profile
- uninstall and install Office 2003
- upgrade Office 2003 to SP3

Nothing does the trick.

He gets the error message over and over again. Operation failed. Cannot find object. And if we try to save attachment instead of opening, the error message "could not save attachment", both from rightclick and from File - Save -> attachments.

Strange PC this one. And it is brand new. We've installed Windows XP from the bottom.

rgds(pulling my hair off)

How about this.... Do multiple people use that computer??

Is it possible that one user, say Administrator, loaded the software on that computer and a different user is trying to use it that does not have rights?

Is this user in the "Administrators" group for that computer, or has other rights of Administrator so he/she has full access to the PC?

Is this in an exchange environment, perchance? If so, have that user sit down and login at another computer and access outlook (which will bring up his outlook settings). Do the problems follow this person wherever they login, or is it just on that one computer? If it follows them you know it isn't a computer or software install problem, and more of a profile or system policy problem.

Just some ideas...

The computer has 2 users, Administraotr and the one with problems. I have set this user to be local administrator while testing, and used his account while uninstalling and installing Office.

The problem is on only this computer, it does not follow the user.

PS:We don't use roaming profiles...

Try disabling add-ons. Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, Add-in Manager. Uncheck everything. If it works, put them back one at a time to find the culprit.

At least!
At last!

Thank You!

There were many add-ins, one called "Symantec Outlook antivirus Protection", which caused Outlook to NOT open attachments.

By disabling this add-in, everything works again.

Thank You once again!

Norton Strikes Again..... (Symantec by any other name...)

i can imagine how frustrating this issue was. i had the same problem with that add-in but since it was answered already whats the point :)

Jesmond Darmanin
GFI software -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back