Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Cannot Open W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecraig

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I have installed outlook 2002 on a Windows 2000 machine. I have setup a profile and when I go to open that profile I get the following message.

Cannot open Microsoft Outlook. You do not have permission to log on.

I have remove the profile and recreated it but it still didn't resolve the problem. Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Is this your own personal profile you are trying to access or someone elses profile logged in as yourself? -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

When you're having a bad day just remember it could be worse.....couldn't it?

This is my own personal profile. I am logged in to this machine as administrator. I can access this account on other computer that are not w2k machines.

One more question. Are you using an Exchange server or internet mail? -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

The only thing I can think of checking is if you go to Tools, Services, Exchange properties, Advanced Tab, and make sure that NT authentication is selected. I wouldn't think it's a rights issue since your logged in as administrator. good luck. -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

In the propoerties of the profile in Outlook 2002 you may have automatic network authentication enabled for the account - change to no authentication or prompt for authentication (can't remember exactly) then you will be asked for a domain account as I have a feeling that the administrator account you are using may not be the one authorised on the exchange server.

Something doesn't make sense there..
Let me get this right..you are logged onto the PC with your personal account - ecraig for example.
Account ecraig is a domain administrator, correct?
You are attempting to logon in outlook as ecraig as well, right?

If you are trying to open other users' mailboxes, there is a different procedure. But - for now..we need to (or at least i need to) clarify that :

*you cannot open YOUR outlook profile while logged into Windows 2000 under YOUR username* correct? pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Changing the network authentication level to none fixed the problem. Thank you for all of the help.

FYI - thats not the correct way for it to work unless you're trying to open other users' mailboxes ;)

If you are trying to use your own profile - the problem is still there. You dont want your OWN profile set to none because that will let anybody get in just as you have. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back