Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook cannot open attachments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewishardwick

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
GB
Hi there,

when trying to open JPG attachments in outlook 200 I keep getting an "No file format information can be found in the registry." error message.

I think this is becuase the program that was originally used to open JPEG files is now missing or moved?

Is there a way of telling outlook which program to use?

I no longer get the open/save option pop up.

Thanks!

Easy option is you can install a good image viewer program like irfanview ( and associate all extensions (which the software does automatically).

regards
Murugs

You can drag a file to the Explorer(not IExplorer) window and it will open most files for you.
Or you can reassociate the .jpg file with the default program. You need to do this in Tools\Folder Options\File Types.

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

Run Regedit, and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security (change 10.0 to 9.0 for Outlook 2000 SP3 or to 11.0 for Outlook 2003`fs)

Under that key, add a new string value named Level1Remove.

For the value for Level1Remove, enter a semicolon-delimited list of file extensions. For example, entering this:

mdb;url

would unblock Microsoft Access files and Internet shortcuts.

If you are using this registry entry, a glance at Help | About Microsoft Outlook will show Security Mode: User Controlled above the license information.
-------------------
Because Microsoft has not forced attachment blocking on Outlook Express (though it is optional in OE 6.0), you can access .exe files from Outlook messages imported to OE. To make this process easier, consider creating a separate folder in Outlook to which you copy messages with attachments that you want to import. To import into OE, use OE's File | Import command.

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

I am running outlook 97 on terminal server 4.0 and citrix 1.8 . When a user recieves a email with an email as a attachment(msg file) I get the following error. Can't open this item. the object could not be found. Anybody wiht any ideas?

We were experiencing this problem on an Outlook97 running on Windows XP SP1. Dr. Watson flagged outlook.exe and user32.dll in the error report. I checked the documents and settings folder and found the user had two folders, one for the domain, one for the local machine. Deleted both, deleted user, and rebooted. Recreated user, still same problem (though only one user folder in docs & settings now).

I checked the profile settings for the user and found that this was a person that logged into 3 types of machines-- Win98, WinNT4.0, and WinXP. As we all know, profiles between the different OS don't play well. Win98 likes profiles to be stored by default in a home folder, NT in a Users folder, and now XP likes a separate Profiles folder. So I took a look at the XP profiles folder and discovered that the NT User.dat and System.dat were carrying over. I deleted those, deleted the folders off the local machine so they'd recopy down correctly, and logged back in. Problem fixed.

We don't have any other profiles and the wierd thing is taht we have another user on the same citrix server with the same outlook version and she can open it up. Sme permission .. It also seem to be the email itself not the attachment.. I can save the attachment from the file menu and open it up.. but when I try to save the email from the file menu I get the same error. So I stuck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back