Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTLOOK - cannot import contacts into address book

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
I know this may not be the correct forum, but I posted in the office forum and haven't gotten any responses.

I just moved my boss's mail over from a desktop (Win 98) to a notebook (Win XP Pro) and am having an issue with his contacts. On the desktop machine, his contacts could be pulled up from the address book. On the notebook, they aren't there. I tried adding the contacts to the address book, however the feature - file/folder/properties for contacts, is greyed out on the tab where you add them to the address book. Has anyone run into this before? and if so, how can I get the contacts to show in the address book?

Thanks for your help!

(Happy Holidays!!)

tools options, in there somewhere (depends on version of outlook), 3 tabs, choose third one addressing. Add the folder in there.

I think.

mviker - Can you just explain the process you went through a bit more?

If I understand correctly, on the old machine his addresses were stored in an address book (pab file). If so, have you imported all the data from the pab file to the CONTACTS folder in the mailbox in XP? If so, you should then be able to right click on the CONTACTS folder, choose properties, go to the OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK tab, and tick the box SHOW THIS FOLDER AS AN EMAIL ADDRESS BOOK. Although this is normally ticked by default and should already be showing in the Address Book.

Regards
jpaf

jpaf,

Here's how things went. My boss is new to the company. He brought his old win 98 notebook over with hime. I initially moved all his email and contacts over to one of our win 98 desktops until his new notebook came in. During that time, his contacts were showing up in the address book on the win98 desktop in addition to our regular global address book. All was good. The mailbox and contacts are on our exchange 5.5 server. When his new notebook arrived, I simply installed outlook and pinted everything to the same mailbox. everything showed up just fine, except his contacts no longer show in his address book like they did on the desktop. Now, when I highlight contacts in Outlook and then click file/folder/properties for contacts...the option for adding the contacts to the Outlook address book is unavailable or greyed out when it was not like that on his desktop machine.
I'm not sure why this is or how it can be corrected.
I hope I explained this clearly. It's driving me nuts!

I'm having the same problem with a user. I haven't been able to try this out yet, but this is what I came up with:

Choose Tools | Email Accounts...
Click on Add a new directory or address book, then Next >.
Select Additional Address Books then click Next >.
Choose Outlook Address Book from the list of additional address book types, then click Next >.
You will be prompted to close Outlook and reopen it for the changes to take effect.
Repeat steps 1-3 above to set up your address book.
To add contacts to your Address Book:

Choose Tools | Address Book.
In the Address Book dialog box select File | New Entry.
In the New Entry dialog box ensure that New Contact is selected and that Contacts is selected in the Put this Entry In the radio button. If you are making a distribution list, select New Distribution List at this point.
Type in the name and email address of your contact, plus any other information. Click Save and Close.
You will be taken back to the Address Book screen. Ensure that Contacts is selected from the pull down menu in the Show names in the box. You will now see your list of contacts.
Close the window.

When you type a name in the To: box of an e-mail message, Outlook automatically checks to see if the name you typed matches a name in your Address Book. If there is a match, the name is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back