Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook cannot conect to server...? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadanis

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
GB
Hi all

Hope someone can help

Normally from the error in the subject I'd be able to sort this one but this is a little stranger than normal (at least in my experience)

- Outlook on a networked computer, tries to connect to pop3 server. Fails
- Network is OK.
- Computer in question has Internet connection and network connection
- All other computers in office connect fine to server and download emails.
- Deleted and reset email account, still can't connect.

Computer is Win 2K, Office 2K. Network Win Srvr 2K.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

If you use an IP address rather than the name for the remote server does it work then? Just trying to rule out DNS issues.

Russell.

forgive my ignorance, but would the IP address for the POP3 be the same as the server's IP address,. (this is a multi function server being used for POP3, web site, application and database. Or is there a different address for the POP3 server based on ports etc?

Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Ok. Update to the problem.

I tried the IP address like you suggested nad the mails arrived ok.

There is a second pop3 account that is on the same Outlook profile which I don't have the IP address for and the same thing is happening to this one.

This seems to be a local problem with the machine in question though as all the other computers are finding the pop.xxx.com and pop.yyy.com addresses just fine

Grenage, you mentioned ruling out DNS issues.. what could these be as it appears they have not been ruled out?

Thanks for the help so far.

Ok it looks like DNS is indeed your problem then, which is good because now we know what we are working with.

If you enter "IPCONFIG /ALL" at a command prompt, are DNS servers displayed? I assume you are using DHCP for the network address on this machine? Can you ping any other computers on the network by name?

right, did that.

ipconfig /all shows the DNS servers. We are using DHCP as far as I can tell (pretty basic knowledge of networking).

I am able to ping other computers on the network using names as well as the mail server using its pop.xxx.com reference rather than the IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back