Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook boxes Greyed Out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSponge

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
I have installed Outlook 2002 onto an updated XP Pro machine at work,

Now the contact folders cant be shown as an address book because the option is greyed out, the same applies to my message rules? these options are greyed out.

I have full admin rights to the machine??

Please help

Please anyone?

Its really annoying, thanks

Do any of these help?

Cannot view my address book in Outlook xp thread68-847650
outlook: no access to "contacts" from "write new mail window" thread68-793359
Show this folder as an e-mail address book is grayed out thread605-834440

No Im afraid not, I cannot even intall a PAB,

I have tried all the various things on the threads you supplied.

I upgraded to Outlook 2003, and it worked, but I prefer Outlook 2002,

It seems something is missing

Many thanks anyway...

Try this. This normally works for me (I'm using Outlook 2000 though but see the bottom

Quit Outlook.

Right click on the Outlook Icon (or double click the Mail Icon in Control Panel).

Under Services Tab - Ensure "Outlook Address Book" is there. If it isn't (which it probably won't be), add it. Restart Outlook. You should now be able to do a propertiess on the contact items and tick use as Address book.

For Outlook XP / 2003 Try:

Go into email accounts. Under Directory, click View Or Change existing directories or address books. Then Next.

Click Add.

Click Additional Address Books

Click Outlook Address Book. (Add a Personal Address Book if necessary too).

Ok back out.

Quit and Restart Outlook.

Hope this helps
Regards
Colin Anderson.

Thats the problem, It wont let me..

If I try to add the service or Address book it says it cant, as outlook hasnt been configured properly?

It has because I reinstalled and repaired 3 times!

Thanks

When it says it can't, what is the exact message you are getting?

CANNOT ADD PERSONAL ADDRESS BOOK, THE OUTLOOK ACCOUNT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN CONFIGURED PROPERLY"

Or words to that affect,

Thanks

I have the same problem w/ the same message..... Please help if anyone has a suggestion.

The way I have got around this is by deleting the mail user's profile and recreating it. This is the only way I have managed to get it to work.

That doesn't help the problem. I have Outlook installed using group policy, setting up the username and mail server, but I have to delete the profile anyway - which kind of defeats the object. If anyone has any ideas on how to actually prevent this, they would be greatly received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back