Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook blokking .exe file attachments 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aydan

Technical User
Dec 14, 2002
BE
Does any body know if it is possible in outlook 2000 to receive attachments without being blocked? I have a norton anti virus software installed and still a can't receive this kind of attachments.
Thanks

Yes this can be done there are 2 utils that let your own security levels and select which files to let in one is called "ATTOPT2" and "Detachoxp. if you have a problem locating them you can mail me and I will send you the files

Bob, I've looked for the 2 files you mention but don't find them on my pc. A read on the microsoft site that this option is set by the Outlook E-Mail Security Update which I probably installed. Are you sure this utils will do the job without any complications?

Interesting site! Have downloaded the files. But the readme file says:
the add-in is only for Outlook 2002, and while it will run on Outlook 2000 it will not have any effect.
So, need to wait until i can afford office XP [sadeyes]

You can have the sender rename the file extention. A file like test.exe would be blocked, but test.xex would not be blocked because it is an unknown file type. Once saved, the recipient could then rename the file extention correctly.

Here you go

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;
;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security]
"RemoveWarningFileTypes"="zip;url;exe;reg"
"AddWarningFileTypes"="ttt"

Is this it than, making this change in the registry?
Looks to easy to be true [bigsmile].
You know, it's not always so easy to ask people to resend the attachment, inparticular when they are forwarding some exe file. They have to save the file first to rename and so on..
But this registry key change, if it is true that it will raise the security update settings, WOW!

I had a similar problem after patching Outlook2K following a BugBear attack.

However...only attempt this after backing up the outllib.dll file...It does work.

Using a free hex editor named XVI32, (downloaded from the web) open the file OUTLLIB.DLL found in the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office folder, and edit the list of file extensions. There are 40 blocked file extensions separated by semicolons. You can do a search for the text string "ade;adp" (without the quotes) for example. You will see all 40 extensions being blocked right there. Now carefully change each extension that you want to unblock to aaa;aab;aac;aad;aae etc. Use whatever letters you wish. Do not delete any of the extensions since Outlook checks the byte count of the file when it starts. Note that two of the extensions (vb & js) are 2 letters instead of the usual 3 letters.

HI Try renaming the file extention to something non standard then it will not be recognised.

I had the same issue here i usually just get the file renamed , i have seen the fix for the Registry file but as yet have not tried it.

will post somrthing up next week once i have had a go

i don't know if your problem is more than it appears but there is a very simple explaination for your problem. if you were to check the following it may fix your problem: go to "tools">options>security tab>click "attachment security" and make sure it is not on "high". that may be the problem.

hope it helps :)

Ivan

Hi Ivan,
Is it the secure e-mail option where you can get a Digital ID you mean? In the zone settings on the same screen I could'n find anything that applies to the e-mail settings.

Thanks Ivan,
On the security tab I see the settings for e-mail where I can get a digital ID. Have read about, but as far as I could understand it is to secure the e-mail content by encryption. On the "zone settings" I could not see anything that applies to e-mail security. Am I wrong?

Digital ID's have nothing to do with blocking attachements.
See first posts from smah and myself for the fix. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Aydan,

In my version of outlook 2000, on the security tab in "options" it has a "attachment security" button under "secure content". if you were to click that button it will allow you to chose to recieve email attachments or not. maybe your version don't have the same options. I work and have worked with MANY internet services in the support dept. and have had this be the problem MANY times.

Hi Ivan, I just checked that but there is no "attachment security" under "secure content", only a "zone settings" button on my version of outlook 2000. My Outlook do not use an exchange server, maybe therefor.

That's because there is no such setting (at least not standard).
Did you ever check ?
It works a charm, is free, safe (no adware or spyware), for 2000, xp and you can block or unblock at will.
It is a slow site, refresh if needed. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back