Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rleeunc

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
I have a user (Outlook 98 &/or Outlook 2002)who emails to a list of Fire Chiefs attachments every so often dealing with training or other info. The list includes around 70 people, but about 10% of them don't get the attachment. It seems to be the same ones each time that don't get the attachment. The e-mail for them has a Windows icon as if the attachment is there, but if you click on it, nothing happens. We have deleted and reinstalled Outlook 98, reinstalled Office, re-ghosted her machine with the original image, and upgraded her to Outlook 2002, but with no luck. If she goes through the internet and uses Outlook Web Access, the attachments send fine. If she forwards the attachment to someone else in her office and then they forward it to the people that couldn't open it the first time, it works also. We thought we needed to delete her mailbox and recreate it, but when it worked through OWA, we decided maybe that wasn't the problem. Thanks for your suggestions. RLee@NCDOI.net

What type of document is the attachment and is it always the same type of document that is at fault?

These are M/S Word docs, Excel spread sheets, and sometimes internet links. The user is using Office 97 Professional. RLee@NCDOI.net

look at the message format that she is sending it in. Is it Outlook Rich Text Fromat, HTML, or plain text? This is located under tools, options, mail format in Outlook (I would use HTML). Also in the Exchange Amdin take a look at her mailbox and see if someone changed some settings on the Protocols Tab. Look closely at the IMAP4 and check out the format that it is sending. I have found, when using Microsoft Outlook Rich Text format, that if you email a meeting request or other office docs to a foreign mail system that the foreign mail system will not accept this.

look at the message format that she is sending it in. Is it Outlook Rich Text Fromat, HTML, or plain text? This is located under tools, options, mail format in Outlook (I would use HTML). Also in the Exchange Amdin take a look at her mailbox and see if someone changed some settings on the Protocols Tab. Look closely at the IMAP4 and check out the format that it is sending. I have found, when using Microsoft Outlook Rich Text format, that if you email a meeting request or other office docs to a foreign mail system that the foreign mail system will not accept this.

Good Luck
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back