Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook - Attachments can't be opened 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottograham

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
We use Outlook and NT Mail. My emails with .pdf and .doc attachments can't be opened by the recipients. The emails with the Word Documents show attachments with a .dat extension.

Does anyone know why this is not working?

Are these attachments just from one source or are they from several or ALL Outlook mail senders??

Are these attachments the original name with a DAT extension or is there just a WINMAIL.DAT attachment. If just a WINMAIL.DAT, here is a possible explanation:
========================
When an Outlook user composes and sends a message using either Rich Text Format or HTML Format, Outlook automagically generates a file, winmail.dat, and attaches it to the end of the message. winmail.dat contains formatting information, in a human-unreadable form, that Outlook will use on the receiving end to display this email message correctly. Unfortunately, Outlook is the ONLY email client program that can use this information! Netscape Messenger, Eudora*, and other email client programs don't understand this information.
========================

Here are potential solutions:

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Thanks to Jerry and the OldMAN, who is wise.

I've changed the default format to plain text. Is there anyway to still send a table type format with plain text. I frequently cut and paste from Access tables, and they are never lined up when its sent in plain text.

I didn't realize that other people were getting a lot of garbage. Its an eye opener.

Thanks again.

ottograham,

Try using a non-proportional font. That may help.

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back