Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook asking for username, domain and password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lode

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
BE
I have a LAN with 10 computers 1 server and Exchange installed.
A couple of weeks ago outlook began to ask for username, domain and password on some machines altough they can logon with NT Authentication. Now outlook is asking on every machine for it.
I heard something about password expired but i'm not sure what causes this problem.
Can somebody help me out and tell me (step by step if possible) what to do.
I have no experience with Exchange.
Thanks.

What OS is running on your server, your networked PC's and what version of exchange are you running???

This sounds like you are not authenticating to the server. Confirm that users are logging on to the server. The fact that passwords were expiring could be the problem.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

To will2K,

The server is running NT 4.0, 9 networked PC's are running Win98(se), one is running NT 4.0 and the version of Exchange is 5.5.

To jgtriangle,

We have to authenticating to the server first, no doubt about that.
In case of expired passwords where do i have to look when i start Exchange.
Thanks a lot !

There isn't an exchange password as such. Thwe trouble with win 98 clients is that they have 2 passwords, the network password and the windows password. So to an inexperienced user (such as your users probably are) they seem to be logging on to the network when in fact they aren't, they're just logging on to their PC. Anyway, what has probably happened is their network passwords have expired therefore when they open outlook it is asking for the password again as they haven't actually logged in to the domain within which your exchange server resides. Sadly I don't know NT4 but i'm betting that there is a setting somewhere which sets the expiry timescale for network passwords. Either change that setting, or get the users to go into the passwords applet in control panel and change their network password. I reckon this should sove the problem. You can tell when they are trying to log on to the network when the box says "Enter Network Password" otherwise the box will say "Enter Windows Password" when they try to log on to their machines. my advice would be to get all your pc's on nt4 workstation at the very least anyway

Well, the problem is that also the networked PC who is running NT has the same problem.

But when the win 98 clients logon they have a connection with the server, so they are not logging on to their PC or am i wrong ?

They all can logging on to the server because they can see their folders on the server.

How can they be able to logging on to the server when their network passwords have expired ?

Thanks again !!

check to see what security permissions the folders on the server that are being accessed have. If they are allowing access to everybody (as opposed to authenticated users or domain users) then your users do not need to authenticate to the domain to view their folders, they would still need to authenticate to get to the exchange server though. Try getting the users to change their passwords anyway and see what happens.

It's a PC issue, not exchange. Go to Control Panel > Passwords and set the windows password to sync with the network password, then change the password. That way, whenever the NT password expires and it is changed, the local machine windows password will be he same.

What's happening at the moment is that they logon to the network with one password, then they either escape past the windows logon box or put in the old password. When you launch Outlook it looks to see who's logged into the PC. If the passwords are different it prompts for the current NT password that is associated with the mailbox being accessed.

Regards
jpaf

JPAF - I beg to differ. As long as the user is logged on to the network i.e. they didn't escape out of the logon to network box, then they should be able to access their mailbox regardless of whether they successfully logged onto windows locally, or whether the passwords are different. What I think is happening here is that they are not loggin on to the domain at all but they can access the folders on the server because security as probably set to "everyone". They have to put in a password for the exchange server because they haven't logged on to the network.

Will2K - Feel free to disagree, but I have seen this happen and what I described fixed the issue.

Regards
jpaf

This also happens to me and some of my users - I am using outlook XP , in XP SP1 with Exchange 2000 on WIN2k Server.

The only difference is that it wont accept my domain password! I am authenticated in every other way, IE shares, folder permissions, and the account is a domain admin. Any ideas?

Aaron

We had the same same problems all over campus.
Here is what we did:
Log onto the machine(s).
Go into regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, software, Microsoft, RPC, ClientProtocols.
Make sure you have the following keys:
ncacn.http reg_sz rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_ip reg_sz rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_nb_tcp reg_sz rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_nb reg_sz rpcrt4.dll
ncadg_ip_udp reg_sz rpcrt4.dll

This solved all our problems.

Hope this helps,
Darrrin

The last post by Darrin works perfectly!

Solved whatever problems my PC had.

Cheers my son!

Paul.

sorry to bring this back up....

I recently installed GFI Mail Essentials (to a seperate server), to filter content. Ever since, 3 out of 20 computers have their outlook as for their info, IF they've locked their computers, or Logged out.

If they reboot entirely, it usually works fine.
Even if Outlook is asking for their info, they can still access their USER folders on the server, which only ADMINS and that USER have access to.

any other ideas???

Can anyone help me?

We have a few different sites. All connected through a VPN. Running Windows 2000 server, and Win2k on the machines.

On the main site, where the main server is, and where all accounts are created, I can log on to the domain perfectly and check all email.

If I go to another site, I can log on to the domain easily enough and it finds my roaming profile, all network folders are accessible. But when I try to access Outlook, a dialog box appears asking for my Username, Domain Name and Password. When I enter these credentials, i.e. my username, the domain I am logged on to and my password, the machine tells me that they are wrong. But they are not!!

If I log in as the Domain admin, then I can access my email anywhere easily.

I have this problem with a few users who need to access their email.

A lot of the machines on our other sites are maily used as hot desks so will not be used by solely one person.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back