Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook and many new users at a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataside

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
GB
We have many users who float and need to logon to Outlook and get their mail from Exchange.

The current set up is to add a profile for each person on the PC required. This is time consuming and requires support and intervention for us IT guys.

Is there a way of configuring Outlook so that it will always propmt for a user name and password each time ansd then log that person in?

I can't work it out.

Thanks

Pete

You can configure Outlook to prompt for logon credentials but that won't solve your problem. You still need to configure an Outlook profile for each person because they have different ID's or may be on different servers.

You can have Outlook prompt you for which profile to use and then subsequentally prompt for that users logon credentials.

Would this be a viable option for you? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Or changeover to roaming profiles where anyone can login from any pc.

That way their profile is server based and you don't need to set everyone up and every pc. *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

everyone up on every pc.

Sorry 'bout the typo...... *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Roaming profiles would not work as we have a wierd (legacy)collection of 95/98 with only a few NT and 2000 machines. That's why almost each machine has to be set up for a partucular set of users.

Prompting for a profile then the logon credentials sounds interesting. Do you know if I can get the drop down box to show automaticaly? When I set up the prompt with a Dummy User name , I used a dummy user. Once a correct user is entered, the profile is then complete and it uses this again. Can I force the prompt to come up? I can only nmake it happen with an invalid name.

Thanks

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back