Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook and last name field

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdoan

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2007
US
I'm pretty green when it comes to GroupWise. I've done some searching, but haven't found much regarding this. The Outlook address book doesn't have a field for last name. It has one name field and when Outlook connector gets contact information, it neglects the last name field in GroupWise. Is there any sort of workaround for this?

Yeah, use the GroupWise client. the Outlook connector isn't that great.. I don't think it's GroupWise's fault, it's just that Outlook is extremely limited in its functionality. Outlook has no actual functionality, just a happy shiny interface.

The GroupWise client is much better and after you use it for a while, you wonder why you ever used Outlook.

It's kinda like when you have a pair of shoes that you really like, but they're really worn and old. They are fine until you buy new shoes, then you realize what a piece of crap the old ones were and you can't believe you ever went out in public with your old ones. It's the same way after you've used GroupWise client for a while.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I agree totally. I'm servicing a network that some of the users are still really stuck on Outlook. I'm trying to make it seamless as possible (which would be to get rid of Outlook). It seems as though the Outlook Connector would aggregate the user name fields into the single field for Outlook rather than just ignoring the data.

I don't know much about the inner workings of the connector -- I installed it and ran it for 2 months just so I could see what it was all about. Then when I decided I needed to become productive again, I took it out and went with the GroupWise Client. (WebAccess is more functional than the Outlook/GroupWise Connector).

Things I hate about Outlook (And the GroupWise Connector)

- At the top level folders, there no indicators that messages have been delivered in subfolders (via rules).. So you never know when you have new mail

- The full message has to be downloaded (including attachments) before it will even preview it. That means if some idiot sends a 25MB attachment, you system locks up until it's pulled down the whole thing. Then if you click off of it, and back on, you go through the whole thing again. While you may think that most messages are smaller than that, even a 1-2 MB message created drag on your system. It adds up.

- No calendaring functionality. The Outlook calendars, while pretty on the surface, are completely lame and functionless. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to customize the look and feel.

- Overall Slow. Reminds me of Exchange.

- Missing MANY MANY features that the GroupWise client has.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back