Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook & Multiple Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious5

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
GB
I have outlook set up to run on a LAN, and also a internet e-mail service.

All the e-mail messages are saved to the server.

The problem I have noticed recently is that when it receives mail from the internet e-mail service it downloads the same mail messages time after time.

For instance messages from 01/12/02 are still being downloaded even though they have been downloaded previously.
So each time it downloads 100 messages instead of the 1 new one.

Any ideas?

Their is a check box under tools, services, properties for your Internent Mail and then go to the Advanced Tab. Check to see if their is a check beside "Leave a copy of mail on the server". If it is uncheck this as that will keep downloading the same mail over and over from the server.

I suspect that one of the repeating messages has a messed up header - probably the last one received before this started happening. For whatever reason, Outlook doesn't realize that it completed the task of retrieving the messages. Therefore, it never sends the 'I got all the messages' command back to the server. The server doesn't mark them as being retrieved, so it sends them again next time.

You'll probably have to manually delete the messages off the server until you find the problem one. Start with the oldest and only delete as many as neccessary to get it working correctly again.

That seems to make sense

What I also should have said, is that I had a play around in Outlook Express and it seems to work fine i.e No repeating messages.

Do you think using 2 mail clients side by side would cause such a problem?

It shouldn't be a problem. I've run several versions of OE and Outlook at the same time on multiple os's without any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back