Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Address Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWShetler

MIS
Feb 4, 2002
US

When I look at my address book in Outlook 2000, I see all the names for Email and FAX.... How can I just make it so that its the SMTP that shows up??

If you are using Exchange Server then Outlook will display those addresses but I do not believe that Outlook can be linked to a generic SMTP server.

that doesnt even begin to make sense to me....

open an address book...it will show you the entries...

I have entries like this:

Name1 (SMTP)
Name1 (FAX)
Name2 (SMTP)
Name3 (SMTP)
Name3 (FAX)
Name4 (SMTP)
Name5 (SMTP)
Name5 (FAX)

If I have a business faxes in my contacts...they show up in my address book..I dont want to see those... just the SMTP addresses...

make sense??

Sounds like you are using, or rather displaying first, the Outlook Address Book (vs. Personal Address Book) for your Contact information. Unfortunately there is no way to supress that information from displaying in this manner in OAB.

It's a bit confusing but if all you want is just e-mail addresses to list then you would need to use the Personal Address Book (or rather have the personal address book show up first rather than Contacts) and keep the e-mail information here. It will be redundant information than what you already keep in your Contacts but that is the difference between using the Personal Address Book and Outlook Address Book.

If this explanation is also confusing let me know. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I could be way off base here, but if I'm understanding you right here's what you need to do to only display the e-mail address...

In you Contact folder; click "View/Current View/Customize Current View.

In the View Summary box; click the "Field" button.

In the Show Fields box; remove any field that you don't want displayed.

Hope this helps.
bk

I created several Contact folders that contain just the type of information I wanted in it. For example I have a Contacts - Lotus Notes Id, Contacts - Internet Id and a Contacts - Personal.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back