Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2K will not shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2002
US
I've checked out some of the other post but nothing appears to fit this scenario.
+ Win2K (mostly) and WinXP OS ... fully updated
+ Office Pro 2K ... fully updated
+ Outlook 2K with Exchange (2K)
+ TWO EMAIL PROFILES (selectable on starting Outlook)

Running WinXP
1) Start Outlook with Profile 1 (original profile), Outlook opens and closes OK. On shutdown processes Outlook.exe ends first then Mapisp32.exe ends.
2) Start Outlook with Profile 2 (added Exchange profile), Outlook appears to (fully) open a little slow then when closing it locks up - processes Outlook.exe and Mapisp32.exe do not shut down. If I "End Process" Outlook.exe then Mapisp32.exe ends shortly after that.
When I try using WinXP, Outlook 2K3 with the same 2 (mailbox) profiles there is no problems ... and there is no Mapisp32.exe process running.

The user is running Win2K and it appears the similar situation is happening - but I haven't been able to test on his PC.

I've got a few others with similar issues (but without the second profile) and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a similar situation where Outlook 2k won't shut down on my laptop since getting a new desktop running WinXP and Office 2003. We're still running the Exchange 2k backbone.

The XP machine seems to operate fine, but the laptop always shows "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits" until I either kill outlook.exe, or log off.

I've been following another post about Outlook 2003 not always shutting down, and it appears to have some similarities.

In my case, it is the same email profile on the server, but accessed from two different platforms.

exit outlook on pc that will not close

start/run

type outlook /cleanfreebusy

when outlook opens see if it will end now.

i was having the same problem on 5 different computers at work. i used the outlook /cleanfreebusy and it seemed to work on all 5 computers...thanks

I had a similar problem. My outlook was setup to check email just on exit, and for some reason when that feature was on, it would keep outlook open and I had all kinds of errors. After I turned that option off, it closed down fine, and I havn't had the problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back