Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2K receiving problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordRay

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2004
CA
Hello,

I have a client whose email seems to be acting up. Her
Inbox shows no new emails; however, if she opens up an
older email, the new email messages appear. I tried to
see if Send/Receive works, but it doesn't. She actually
has to select a message from time-to-time to see if she
has any new emails. I have around 150 clients but only
the one problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ray

I am having the same problem with 10 computers in my office. It all started when I upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2. Did your client upgrade recently?

Hi lonier...
I have still not quite figured out the problem. On the one client, I disable the Windows Firewall (from XP SP2) and now she is receiving her emails in "real-time". Unfortunately, I have another client who is experiencing the same problem as the original client. So, I tried doing the same thing to her system without success. I am still looking into the matter. Do you have a hardware firewall in place, becasue if you do and it is secured, I would suggest that you try disabling the Windows XP firewall and test out the email on your clients.

Regards,
Ray

Hi lonier...
I have still not quite figured out the problem. On the one client, I disable the Windows Firewall (from XP SP2) and now she is receiving her emails in "real-time". Unfortunately, I have another client who is experiencing the same problem as the original client. So, I tried doing the same thing to her system without success. I am still looking into the matter. Do you have a hardware firewall in place, becasue if you do and it is secured, I would suggest that you try disabling the Windows XP firewall and test out the email on your clients.

Regards,
Ray

See my other thread on this. I am experiencing the exact same problem on 2 out of 30 PC's since upgrading to XP sp2. The firewall is disabled as well.

I soloved my problem on 10 computers and turned off the windows firewall and now the mail comes in real time. Hope this helps.

Already tried that one and no joy I'm afraid, still the same problem.

leo try this we had the same issue here, Enable the XP SP2 firewall and under the exceptions add the outlook.exe file as a exception and you can receive the e-mail in real time with SP2 installed.

A few computers here and mine at home had the firewall off, even in the off state it appears that it was running active which at home affected my aim and mirc resetting the connections every 20 mins or so. On my work machine it effected my outlook not receiving in real time and I experienced the same issues you originally stated.

This was all with the firewall Disabled, I can't say that I have tested turning the firewall off once the exceptions are in place however I could give that a go tonight. Let us know if this works for you.

Hi, I've managed to the sort the problem that I was having. It seemed (that with my machines at least) that Office SP3 being installed with XP SP2 was causing the problem. Have completely Office and re-installed back to SP2 level and the mail is being sent and delivered real-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back