Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2013 .PST problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
A friend has Windows 7 and Office 2013 and runs our Senior Center.
Her problem is she can’t receive new emails and I believe her .pst is full or maybe corrupted.

She was unable to delete e-mails so I had her permanently delete the large files that she doesn’t need using (SHIFT+DELETE).

Now I know that she needs to compact her .pst to free up the space.

I would first like to backup her original .pst and would simply copy to a new folder and rename to original .pst, is this sufficient?

Next in Outlook: file > acct settings > acct settings > tab Data Files > open file location > click compact .pst

Does this sound like a safe method?

BTW I still have Windows XP and no longer use Outlook so I thought it wise to ask before I do something stupid like lose all her mail.

Thanks in Advance

Sam

Sam,
According to Microsoft, the PST file size limit in Outlook 2010 and 2013 is preconfigured at 50 GB. See this support article: Link

You can either work within this limit or it can be changed by making a registry change in Windows. I never recommend making this kind of change without prior knowledge and proven registry backups. A slip-up in the registry can have dire consequences. Here is the Microsoft article discussing how to make the change. (Note that it applies to Office 2003 through 2013.) Link

Lyle
----
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Thanks for the link Lyle it was useful.

I have backed-up my registry then made changes with Regedit many times in the past and survived so I'm as comfortable as I can reasonably be with doing so.

But I don't believe I need to increase her .pst size so no registry changes needed.

As I said I had her remove a few bushels of UN-needed e-mails with huge attachments (10-30 Mb each) and she is still removing more. I hope to see her remove at least 20%.

Me said:
Now I know that she needs to compact her .pst to free up the space.

In XP and Office/Outlook 2003, removing emails did not remove them from the .pst until you did a compact to release the space.

I believe my plan laid out above is OK but simply needed a second opinion since I'm not familiar with Office/Outlook 2013.

Sam

Just create an archive folder and move files there. This is pretty standard. I would find the pst file usually users\user name\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook see how big the pst is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back