Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2010 search in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy88

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2003
MX
Hello. I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In Win 7 I used to be able to use the start menu search to find items in Outlook 2010 (email, contacts, appointments, whatever...). It seems like that function is gone from the start menu search (Cortana).

But I have read that I should still be able to search Outlook 2010 files in the Win 10 File Explorer. I can see that Outlook is listed as an indexed location in the control panel / indexing options (same as search / options / advanced options / change indexed locations in File Explorer). I can also see that the number of items indexed (displayed at the top of the indexing options window) is still increasing, so maybe Outlook is not indexed yet. However, I tried another client computer that has had Win 10 for a couple months and still Outlook files do not appear in the File Explorer search. I attached a pic of the indexing options, but it's nothing too special... just shows that Oulook is included as an indexing location.

Searching inside of Outlook works fine, however, it is inferior to the old Windows search method because I can only search individual folders and not all of Outlook (as well as other files) in a single search... it also seems slower, but I haven't timed it to verify.

I appreciate any advice on how to search Outlook 2010 in Win 10 File Explorer (or better yet, Cortana... but I don't think that's possible).

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ee35f2f7-b279-44c0-a6a1-414658cdef0a&file=Clipboard01.jpg
You are not alone with this problem, there are many others who are complaining about it.

BEST FIX: Search Not Working in Outlook 2010

Outlook 2010 index results not showing in windows 10 search after upgrade

Searching for Outlook items from the Start Screen, Start Menu or Explorer

Thanks for the empathy linney.

I did find that while it doesn't search Outlook directly when typing in the search field in File Explorer, I can select the "Search again in" drop-down and choose Microsoft Outlook. That delivers decent results from Outlook... takes a little more work than in Win 7, but at least I have a work around for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back