Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 RPC/HTTC connect to Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2002
US
Hi,
I have an Exchange 2003 server with multiple Outlook 2003 clients who connect via RPC/HTTP. I have been running this configuration for nearly two years with no problems.

I have upgraded a test client (myself) to Outlook 2007 and cannot connect via RPC/HTTP. All settings are the same as best as I can tell, and I am prompted for my username/password, but the connection never goes through. Reinstalling the certificate did not fix this problem.

I have googled and searched mskb, but cant find much regarding this. Does anyone know if there are any reasons why Outlook 2007 will not connect to Exchange 2003 using RPC/HTTP? Any feedback would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Try launching Outlook using outlook.exe /rpcdiag to see what problems you might be encountering.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Hi charliecahill,

I have exactly the same problem. How did you go about it?

Cheers.

Are you using basic auth? That's usually the problem.

Does OWA work without error?

Hello,
I did get the problem resolved, and basic authentication was part of it. Below is a list of what I did (need to reiterate here that RPC/HTTP is set up on my Exchange server and is working perfectly for Outlook 2003 clients. This response only addresses getting Outlook 2007 clients to connect to an Exchange 2003 server that is already properly configured for RPC/HTTP)

Here are my settings that worked for Outlook 2007: (Control Panel>Mail>E-Mail Accounts>Change Exchange Email account>More Settings)

Under security tab check box for Encrypt data between Outlook and Exhchange, and set Logon network security to 'Negotiate Authentication'. I did not check the box to always prompt for logon credentials, but you could.

Under Connection tab check the box for 'Connect to Exchange using HTTP' and then click the button for Exchange Proxy Settings

Under Exchange Proxy Settings make sure the URL for your proxy server for exchange is a fully qualified domain name- not an IP address. for example myexchangeserver.mydomain.com **more on this in a minute
check the box 'on slow networks, connect using HTTP first'
and as mentioned by Zelendakh, use basic authentication.

** This is important! Whether you are using Outlook 2003 or 2007, the address you use for the URL must be resolvable by internet explorer or the process will not work. Open IE and go to (of course you will need to put in your servername and domain here) and install the certificate if you have not already done so. This should bring you into Outlook Web Access, assuming that is set up on your server. If this step does not work then RPC/HTTP will not work either. I had to create a manual hosts entry on my clients that contains entries for myexchangeserver.mydomain and for srv.mydomain.

That is all I had to do. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back