Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 Password Protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBee19

Technical User
Oct 6, 2010
CA
Hi all,

I want to set a password on my Outlook so NOBODY can open it without the username/password. We are using Microsoft Exchange and I have tried a couple of things already.

1) Under Account Settings, Changes, More Settings, Security --> I have enabled the always prompt for username and password. I don't like this because it only prevents users from getting new mail. You can just hit cancel and read previously syncronized emails.

2) Put a password on the .PST file. This works well but I have a lot of emails in my .OST file. I move only certain/few things to my .PST file. You can't open the .PST file without a password.

What I want is to open Outlook and not be able to see ANYTHING unless you put in a password.

I have searched Google, but not hard and long enough.

Thanks

CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+

Sorry this isnt for me.

He shares his computer with a supervisor (he is the manager). The supervisor accesses his Outlook through OWA. So if he were to lock his pc, hed have to give his password to the supervisor.

CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+

This becomes a security thing. We have a security policy stating how access is given. Especially since we use SSO, one password gets you into everything. I think the manager really needs to login to the computer as himself.

As eritguy says, you can have two or more IDs on one computer, with Windows and presumably other systems also. Where I work, people sometimes use another PC with their own user name and get their own settings (including Outlook) with that user name.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 11.5 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back