Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2007 on windows 7 Cannot connect to server issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceregent

Technical User
May 5, 2012
I have been experiencing a problem. I have a u-verse AT&T cable modem with 4 ports. I have one port connected to a 4 port Vonage router. The other 3 ports, one connects to my main cable box. The other two connect to my family computer running windows 7, the other one connects up to my desktop computer running windows 7 with outlook 2007. My wife's computer is running windows 7 with outlook 2007.

All computers connect to the internet just fine. We also have a laptop that connects wireless, and does great. My wife's computer connects wireless as well. My desktop also has a wireless as well as wired. My outlook and my wife's outlook are configured exactly alike. However, her outlook constantly complains that it cannot "Find the server on the network". My outlook works fine. I even had the wife's computer wired as well are wireless. Exactly like mine.

I have tried quite a number of things to try and resolve this issue. It is almost like my wife's computer thinks it is connecting to an exchange server on our local network, which is not the case. I even removed and replaced the email profile on her computer in the control panel, but to no avail. I could really use some help here. I did a brand new windows 7 install on the wife's computer. Where should I look next please?

Thanks

Ok, let me clarify again. There is a cable modem with 4 ports.

1 port is connected up to a Vonage router with 4 ports.

The second port goes to the cable box attached to the TV.

The 3rd port goes to the "family" pc running windows 7, which has a "homegroup" that it is running, as well as sharing the media center with the xbox 360, which is connected up to the Vonage router port #1.

The 4th port, is connected up to my desktop, which also has a wireless attached to it. My desktop is also running windows 7, and sharing the media center.

My wife's desktop, is running windows 7, with a wireless connector. There is also a laptop, connecting via wireless as well, running vista home.

On my computer, I can see the family computer and my wife's computer in the HomeGroup. Obviously the laptop running vista is not allowed in the Homegroup. On the regular network, I can see, all 4 computers, and I can access all shared computer folders on all of the computers. My wife's computer only sees the family computer in the Homegroup, and see's all computers on the network and can access all of the shared folders on the network.

Just recently, suddenly now my outlook 2007 ultimate stopped being able to "connect to the outgoing (smtp)mail server", when yesterday it was. However, the incoming works just fine. The same exact office installation on my wife's computer, outlook has the following error messages: Sending: error 0x800ccr0d - cannot find the email server. Receiving: error 0x800408fc - the server name that you entered cannot be found on the network.

The "Family" computer can see only my wife's computer on the Homegroup. On the network, it can see and access all 4 computers and shared folders. There is no outlook configured on the computer, however, office 2007 ultimate is installed on that computer.

Hopefully I have given you more than enough information for a start at a diagnosis? Please ask more questions if needed, because we really count on our outlook email, which was expensive enough for is poor folk, lol.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ohm and that article that you pointed me to, about the exchange server section - we do not have nor do we use any exchange server nor account. We use all pop3 servers from various online sources, such as from our isp and a few other locations. These have always worked splendidly in the recent past. But also, both my computer and my wife's computer were running XP Pro until we started having problems. I caught a Trojan and ended up completely wiping my hard drive and i installed XP pro again, got all my programs working, then upgraded to Vista Enterprise, things were still working, Then I upgraded to Windows 7 pro.

On my wife's computer, i moved her small 80 ghd to another ide slot and installed a clean 300gbyte hd and did a clean install of the very same windows 7 pro. No exchange server anywhere. However, I seem to remember at some point somewhere, reading something on some computer that thought it was on a domain, but I cannot re-encounter that information.

What is the domain extension of the email address (@yahho.com,hotmail.com That sort of thing)?
What are the pop server addresses?
Can the problem computer ping the mail server?

One domain is att.netm i.e. outbound.att.net is the smtp server. inbound.att.net is the outbound. Another server with the same issue is pod51000.outlook.com for both inbound and outbound. They have worked perfectly without problems before. There is no issue with the settings inside of outlook for connecting to the servers.

Pinging the servers? Unsure of the exact address to ping to. Do I ping the servers as I have them in the outlook setup thru the command prompt, or a different set of server addresses?

>ping inbound.att.net

Pinging pop-att-new.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [98.138.83.30] with 32 bytes of dat
Reply from 98.138.83.30: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=46
Reply from 98.138.83.30: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=46
Reply from 98.138.83.30: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=46
Reply from 98.138.83.30: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 98.138.83.30:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 77ms, Maximum = 108ms, Average = 96ms

>ping outbound.att.net

Pinging smtp.att.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com [68.142.198.51] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 68.142.198.51: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=49
Reply from 68.142.198.51: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=49
Reply from 68.142.198.51: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=49
Reply from 68.142.198.51: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 68.142.198.51:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 60ms

This is the result of pinging both inbound and outbound servers from my computer. Let me see what happens from my wife's computer...

same result from my wife's computer, slightly different times, but same result.

On the second email account, pod51000.outlook.com, when i do a send receive or check the setting in outlook, I get an error message on sending, that claims "client was not authenticated. On my computer, it is the sending that is being blocked. On my wife's computers, it is both send and receive being blocked.

Pinging the other one went like this :

>ping pod51000.outlook.com

Pinging pod51000.outlook.com [207.46.4.212] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.4.212:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

However, I do receive email from that address, just cannot send to it.

Ohm and that article that you pointed me to, about the exchange server section - we do not have nor do we use any exchange server nor account.

Actually! When you connect to mail services at outlook.com you ARE using Exchange Server and have an exchange account.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Actually! When you connect to mail services at outlook.com you ARE using Exchange Server and have an exchange account.

But it's all behind the scenes and the home outlook client should NOT be configured as if it's in an office/LAN environment with Exchange. Let's not confuse the OP.

seem to remember at some point somewhere, reading something on some computer that thought it was on a domain, but I cannot re-encounter that information.

Right click on "Computer" choose "Properties" -> "Change setting" -> [Network ID] -> set "This is a home computer ..."

also

Control Panel -> Network and Sharing set your network type to "Home Network"

and

Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> 2Allow a program of feature..." make sure "Microsoft Office Outlook" is allowed on "Home/Work (Private)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Chris thank you for that information, however, that has already been done along time ago, and still is in that setting. Yes, I did check those things. However, the strange thing is this: Everytime I go back to check on it, it is set back to "this computer is part of a business network.."

So, that is a problem. Yes, I keep resetting it back to home network, and then it wants me to reboot, and next time I check, back to business network. I have already checked the firewall settings, its in there correctly.

Something strange I just noticed when doing a single test email... There was only one email in the outbound folder, but the outlook message at the bottom said "sending message 1 of 1" then suddenly changed and said "sending message 3 of 3"....

client was not authenticated" would suggest the server requires authentication and the email program is either not setup to authenticate or has wrong entries.
I assume it shoule be setup to use ssl and ports 995/465 if you goto webmail and enter the user name and password to you gain access to the inbox on webmail? If so you know the user name and password are correct.
You can try setting the mail servers to pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com user name the full email address and the proper password in more settings outgoing server requires authentication and use same settings as incoming and then on the advanced check both boxes for SSL and set incoming port to 995 outgoing to 465 save settings and restart outlook and see if the email starts to flow.

No, that setup is incoming pop3 at port 995 and ssl, and outgoing smtp at port 587 at tls. Yes, it is set up correctly. The exact same settings have been working until just recently. But now, suddenly, my printer is not able to be accessed by the computer. Seems to be some sort of a communication subsystem occurrence.

Before I wiped out my hard drive and reformatted, as I stated earlier, I had contacted the trojan SIREF.J . O have one other hard drive on my system. Before I wiped the system hard drive, I ran the malwarebytes cleaner program, also, security essentials stopped the trojan supposedly. From what I understand about that trojan, it hijacks the browser and forces a proxy connection to redirect things. Could this still be an issue that got infected in the second non-system hard drive that came back over to the newly formatted and installed operating system?

Do you get any errors when you use email if so what are the errors?
Have you tried resetting the winsock files?
netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)
or Microsofts fix it

And, I tried changing the settings like you suggested... Now the outgoing gives me a message error of (0x800ccc0f)the connection to the server was interrupted.

What anti-virus program are you using?
0x800CCC0F is quite often a block by security software.

I just saw your previous post and this one. Let me address the last one first. I am using microsoft security essentials, updated current.

The errors I get when using email are peculiar to me. I set up outlook on the "family computer" just now, and the AT&T settings suggested by them, resulted in the now familiar error of "the server name that you entered cannot be found on the network.". Both receive and send had errors. The AT&T settings used to work great exactly as AT&T suggested, but now they do not any longer. When I changed that computer to your suggested settings, the incoming pop worked just great, but the outgoing smtp had an error of "cannot send the message. Verify the email address in your account settings. The server responded: 530 authentication required."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back