Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 won't read 2000 PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFChristie

Programmer
Oct 25, 2002
US
All the posts I see here about 2003's PST File say (I think) that 2000/XP can't read the 2003 PST file. I, however, am having the opposite problem;

When I copy my old PST file to the Office 2003 system, I get an error "Invalid file properties...." (I don't remember the exact wording, but that's the gist of it). I've tried using the old file, importing from the old file, etc; all get the same error.

I find it unlikely that MS, even though it is MS, would not provide the ability to upgrade your systems, but I can't find anything that indicates what needs to be done in order to upgrade to the newest version.

Has anyone done this, and if you got the same error, what did dyou have to do to fix it????

Thanks

In order to find something about that, try it again and note down the EXACT error message please, or .. we would be guessing.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

I have spoken to MS about this and they have confirmed that there is a compatibility issue between .pst. We found the problem using an older archive .pst. The solution we came up with, is to open the .pst in 2003 and export it to another .pst.

That is NOT the solution here, as HFChristie is already using Outlook 2003

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Actually, I'm using Outlook 2000, and trying to import the contacts to Outlook 2003.

I haven't tried exporting to a new file yet - never thought of it. I'll try to export my existing Outlook to a new PST to see what happens.

Thanks

Oh, you DID mention using Outlook 2003!!!!

You CANNOT open 2003 PST in ANY Outlook before 2003!

Marc
[/sub]

I understand that. I'm NOT trying to do that.

I'm trying to open a PRE-OUTLOOK 2003 in OUTLOOK 2003 - in otherwords, UPGRADING - clearly stated in all my messages. I'm upgrading, not downgrading.

Actually, this is my parents PC. They haven't got me the exact error message yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Actually, it's better to import old pst data into outlook 2003 anyway. Even if you could open the 2000 pst file, outlook 2003 has features not available unless you start with a 2003 pst file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back