Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 with multiple users over multiple PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novexx

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
GB
I have Outlook 2003 installed on 2 PCs. Is it possible without MS Exchange to have one of these PCs collecting & sending Email for User1@mydomain & a the second user collecting & sending Email for everythingelse@my domain?

As far as I am aware my Email account has one mailbox with multiple aliases.

I have tried setting up one machine to leave a copy of mail on the Email server, but it doesnt really work well enough.

Any advice appreciated.

That sounds like something you need to set up at the SERVER level with your ISP. In other words, they have a CATCH ALL feature which can send all mail to your domain NOT sent to a specific user to ONE mailbox of your choosing. Then, you can keep things separate.

I think this is what you're trying to do. It's NOT a client setup issue/problem - it's at the domain level. Contact your host. You would probably login to your web mail interface or domain control page to manage this setting.

I have contacted my ISP/Host regarding this & was informed that if I was on POP3 mail (which I am), that it would not be possible from their end?

They don't have a catch-all mailbox ability?? Switch hosts.

If you want to switch it so that user1 is getting mail on PC1 and then have user2 getting mail on PC2 with multiple aliases on the USER2 account, wouldn't that take care of it for you?

In other words, remove the aliases from your account and put them on the USER2

? pass.

from what I can see, I have a domain with associated mailbox on a pop3 account & dont have exchange or anything like that on our peer to peer network.

If I do a send/receive from any particular PC, mail from that specific user is sent with that users name, but any uncollected mail connected to any alias on our account is received, like everything@mydomain.com.

As far as I can see, the only option is to have the 2nd user leaving a copy of mail on the mail server, & re-sending wrongly received mail in the hope that it arrives at the correct destination.

I'm confused - how do I organise aliases on my accounts - there is nothing at the ISPs end to do this?

I'm not talking about Exchange at all - I'm talkin' POP3 mailboxes.

Usually, you can have aliases set up via which mail to XXXXX@yourdomain.com and mail to YYYYY@yourdomain.com can go to a totally different user like you@yourdomain. And if you had a catch-all mailbox, anything@yourdomain.com would go into the catch-all mailbox when set up properly.

IF that function (aliases) is not available, isn't setting up a forwarding rule possible by which the same thing could be accomplished????

If not, switch to someone like Network Solutions - I know they have the catch-all function. Note that I would NOT make the catch-all account YOUR personal account. Make another mailbox like stuff@mydomain.com

If anyone else has a better idea or way to accomplish what this user is asking - be my guest.

Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated.

The only way is to have 2 real mail accounts at your ISP. There is absolutely no reason that your ISP/mail provider couldn't do this for you (they might charge an additional fee), but if they say they can't, get a new provider.

The alternative is to think of switching to hosted Exchange mail. It's not expensive - presuming you only have two email users and will provide all the other benefits of being an exchange client.

Regards: Terry

If he has only two/three users, I'm doubting that would be smart economically.

That depends on which side of the fence you sit!

Compared to simple POP3 mail - yes it is more expensive but not outrageous.

Compared to running your own Exchange server, it is (almost) infinitely cheaper and requires barely any in house IT support or expertise.

Regards: Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back