Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 PST file and Outlook 2002 compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenn007

Technical User
May 26, 2002
AU
I've backed up my PST file from Outlook 2003 ( unicode and non Unicode) and have tried to import it to Outlook 2002( it's on my old laptop 93SE) and I'm told the the files are not compatible, can anyone help?

Hi,
I am not entirely sure about Outlook but I know that in other office applications backwards compatability is not achieved unless you save the file explicitly as for use by another version of the software.
There is a strong possibility that you used the new
unicode pst file format. If that is the case, you need to find someone
still running Outlook 2003 to export/move your items into a legacy (ansi)
pst file so you can work with it in Outlook 2000/2002.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Yes...Outlook 2003 uses a new unicode pst file and it is cannot be opened in outlook 2002.

A possible workaround for this issue.
In outlook 2003 create a new pst file which will give u the option to choose old/new format. Choose Old format.
Now the newly created pst file is compatible with older versions.Now move all the contents of the unicode pst file in to the newly created pst file. Then you can import the same in to oulook 2002. Never tried this..If possible try it out and post back.Just make a backup of your 2003 Pst file since you are doing some moving stuff..

See MS article

sorry for the grammatical mistake on the first line.

regards
MP

Thank you for your help, I'll try the work arounds out, but I don't give them much hope, it's always when you need to do something "after" the upgrade that you learn you should have read the rollout info and what was going to happen to the "old" files.

You live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back