Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrq35

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
US
i am not sure if this forum is looking at office issue as well. if not, i apologize. if yes, here's my problem. i am running XP Pro SP2 and Office 2003 SP1.

every so often, say 4-6 time a week, when i start Outlook i get this message "data file for personal folder was not closed properly" and the widows show the file being "repaired". take anywhere from 15 sec to a minute. then everything is ok. i have no idea why, and it has been like that almost since i got this laptop (last summer).

any ideas? thanks.

i thank you for the prompt response. i visited the URL, but it does not explain how the fix will help my outlook 2003 problem. i wonder if you could help with some detail? thanks again!

Bcastner's idea is certainly worth trying, it is a fix for XP failing to close open registry handles of users who are logging off.

Repair a damaged Personal Folders PST file

Even try the ChkDsk /r command on the drive concerned.

These of some alternatives to try but most are pleas for help, it has many people thinkg it is a known to Microsoft bug.

I believe it is a bug also. I have tried copying the contents of a "bad" PST file to a brand new, blank one and it didnt solve the problem. After a few shutdowns it started complaining about the new one also, and scanpst found no issues, nor were there any unusual events in the event viewer re: outlook closing with errors, etc.

This has happened on many different computers, and there wasnt a single KB article I could find that even addressed this message.

however mrq35, you can try what I did above, create a new blank pst file, and copy contents of old to new (then close the old one afterwards), to see if that at least temporarily "fixes" the issue.

i want to thank everyone. i did both al the scanning (nothing was found) and the new file trick. nothing helped. so i am going to compress the file tonight. will report.

I had a similar problem, same error message...

after dling the above fixes, I thought all was fine...

well, not so, my original PST file inflated from around 2mb to an anstounding 4.5 GB in size...

my fix was simple, I opened up Outlook, did an archive of my folders... deleted the original and replaced it with the archive, then renamed it in outlook to Personal aswell as deleting the archive... the only problem that happened was that all of my Contacts, where gone, so I would suggest doing a backup of the contacts first...

hope this helps...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back