Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 opens automatically on logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharris

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, Outlook 2003 opens automatically whenever I turn on my machine. It doesn't exist in the start folder and I cannot find a way to disable it short of uninstalling Outlook. I do not use it, but really don't want to uninstall it. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy!!
Shannon

Just out of curiosity, did you check the registry to see if it's being started from there? Look in both of these locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Good luck!

deeno

I checked both of those but did not find Outlook in either of them. Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help!
Shannon

1. You can try running MSCONFIG and see what it tells you.
2. Look in "ALL Users" startup folder

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Hi. Thanks for your advice TekieVB. However, I have tried that as well and still cannot find Outlook listed anywhere. I am just going crazy with this! I have never seen a situation where I could not locate it to change the preference. Outlook itself only allows you to choose which folder you want it to open to, not whether or not you even want it to open. This is so annoying!

Hi, I seem to be having this same problem. Can you tell me if you ever found a resoultion and what it was? I am trying to shut off Outlook 2003 at startup on a Windows XP machine. It is the primary mail program.

Thank you,

Hi sunited. Sorry, but I have yet to find a solution to Outlook opening. I finally quit looking because I was too busy to invest any more time in it. If you figure it out could you let me know? Thanks!

Wow, you're still having this problem?

Couple questions. Are you on a network with a domain controller? Is this problem happening on just one system or on more than one system? If there more than one user on the system, does Outlook come up for every user?

Sounds like a crazy problem. I'd probably try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook to see if that helps.

You could also rename the outlook.exe file to see the error that is displayed when you log in. Maybe that will give you some insight as to what is calling it to start. Maybe it is starting from some other process or batch file.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back