Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 on XP Won't Connect to Exchange 5.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willis99

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
I am running into problems trying to rollout Outlook 2003 in an organization with Exchange 5.5.

The problems only happen on computers with Windows XP. Windows 2000 clients work fine. Also, the Windows XP computers run Outlook 2002 fine.

Here's the scenario:

1. New computer with XP Pro: Outlook 2003 hangs when trying to create new profile.

2. Upgrade existing computer with Windows XP and Office 2000/2002: Existing profile is recognized, but Outlook hangs after Outlook inbox is loaded.

The Exchange 5.5 server has all the patches, hotfixes, etc -- including one that pertains to Outlook 2003.

Clients have HOSTS file entry with internal IP address and machine name of Exchange Server.

I have searched support.microsoft.com to no avail. Tried my best to search ms public discussion groups with no success.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If anyone has any ideas about this, I'd like to know too.

Just taken delivery of some new machines with Outlook 2003 on, and I'm having the very devil of a job getting these to connect.
1. When you configure the mail profile, and enter either the internal IP address of the Exchange server, or the machine name, it chages it to the DNS name of the machine (it is running OWA).
2. When starting Outlook, it times out trying to connect, but when clicking on retry, it connects. This was alleviated by changing the timeout setting from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, but come on, I'm on a 100 MBit network here.
3. While it is left running, I'm constantly getting error messages telling me the connection to the server has been lost/regained/lost again/ etc, etc.
4. Trying to access Public Folders - I get error messages saying they are unavailable.

I'm running an NT4 server with Exchange 5.5, all patched. I've got machines with Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 that connect without a problem, yet all of the new 2003 machines have this error. Can anyone help?

THANKS alexwood, THANK!!!!

The only weird thing was that on my Win2k box, the registry key they mention,

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware\Microsoft\office\11.0\RPC

Does not exist.

So, I created it. Then I added the specified value!

I spent literally hours combing through MS looking for the answer. I knew it had to do with RPC, but the only other documentation I could find had nothing to do with my particular problem. This fixed it!!!

YAHOO -- I CAN SLEEP AGAIN!!!!

Hi,

I've just installed a new computer at a customer. Also WinXP Pro, Outlook 2003 and Excahnge 5.5. I couldn't get Outlook 2003 to connect to the Exchange server, it kept on saying "Trying to connect". I couldn't understand why (hardware and network was fine), then I went to look at Microsoft... no solution... I then checked Tek-Tips (which I often do)... viola! I used the RPC key (also had to add it) the I used Type 2 as the value. It works fine. Now I can get the other machines working as well. Thanks guys...

Just an FYI - I got around the problem by adding an entry for my exchange server in the hosts file. I copy group specific hosts files to users via login script because some are still using OL2000 and some are using OL2003. If they have 2003 then the host file has the IP and FQDN for the exchange server. I didn't have to add registry entries to each pc thia way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back