Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 Missing header 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonkue

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
GB
We are using XP and Outlook 2003. We print all e-mails as a record of correspondence. Some e-mails when printed show the header - From/To/Sent/Attachments, some do not. I don't know what makes one do this and another not! We are using the same pc, printer and print method to print both. It applies to incoming and outgoing.
We have HTML selected as our generation method.
Any ideas please?

I am having a similar issue and it is driving me mad. have you had any luck in fixing this problem.

i appear to have the same set up for both my desktop and laptop and yet the laptop is fine but the destop decided not to print the headers as of yesterday - can't remember making any changes that would have triggered this.

my issues only seem to happen when i select HMTL as the format for a reply or forward. new messages in HTML are OK.

Can anyone please help.....

noideay,

I have not found a fix yet. Was hoping someone would have a bright idea!

Not sure if this is what you guys are looking for but....

I had a user that would print from Outlook 2003 but some emails did not print with headers.
The fix I used, and don't ask me why it worked but it has done for two users now, was as follows....

Open Outlook, click on 'File' - 'Page Setup' - 'Define print styles' - highlight 'Memo style' and click 'reset'.

After doing that all emails printed with headers.

Let me know if this does the trick. Cheers

Thanks aich69 - have tried this but no good.

i have found that there are a hell of alot of people having the same problem and it all seems to stem from IE7 (once the full version has been downloaded). the microsoft public forums are riddled with people screaming for help.

my only work-around i have found has been to convert email to plain text - save - convert back to html - edit - save - then print. sometimes you need to do a few times but eventually it works.

someone else in another forum suggested printing multiple messages at once - this didn't help me but you may be lucky.

it seems that once a message has been corrupted then it will never print properly unless you do the editing as above.

good luck & let me know if you find something else

As you've found, this is a known problem after installing IE7. And you have also found the only reliable workaround. Even though it's not supposed to be, OE's printing is still in some ways tied to IE. I don't think Outlook is, though, but people report the problem with both mail clients. I have an [as yet unproven] suspicion that it's related to IE's new shrink to fit printing function. If you have the inclination, the next time that you find a message that doesn't print the header info try this: Open IE (only 1 instance/tab), do the print preview and set the 'shrink to fit' option to 100%. Then try printing the e-mail message again.

smah - thanks i'll try that - will be interesting. FYI i'm having the problem in outlook not OE - so would seem to be universal.

will let you know if this work-around you have suggeted works for me.

thanks again

will try also.... however my original post has worked for two user on the network with the same problem, maybe my issue differs slightly.... start of problem doea happen to coincide with the recent update from IE6 to & tho?!?!

This thread's very helpful for me since I didn't realize this was a problem related to downloading IE7.

I can't seem to fix it "permanently" so my workaround is to forward the e-mail in Outlook 2003, select the text I want to print and then File, Print, Selection.

I resolved this problem by going into FILE.PAGE_SETUP and found that the email was in letter format rather than A4. I swapped this and it printed ok after that. I did actually try printing it in ladscape prior to Portraite but it worked boith ways. Hope this helps

SloughBoy

Hi Guys,

I had similar issues with 10 users. I tried all the proposed solutions but nothing worked. The only thing that worked for me was uninstalling IE7. Users are very happy and they have disabled automatic updates.

So TechGuy2007, for confirmation, you've confirmed that IE7 issue also definately affects Outlook 2003 as well as OE?

Solved this issue on my PC's with the following..

From the email note go to Page Setup-->Memo Style

I changed the top and bottom margins to .50 from .75

This solved the problem.

Hope this helps.

i tried all of these work-arounds & unfortunately nothing worked.

However, i have found one that does work and keeps on working (wish i could take credit for it but i found the answer on another forum).

simply Ctrl A to select all then go file, print then select print selection & go.

works everytime - simple & no fuss.

hope you all find it helpful too.
[2thumbsup]

I tried all of these tips and tricks but so far no go with my user. She has Outlook 2003 but is using IE6, she can't upgrade due to compatibility issues with the payroll software she is using. However she had no issues until a PC replacement last week. I am not sure what has shifted, another IT person in my department set up the system. However I do not have the same issue. I have gone through each of her settings and have found no differences between the machines, other than I am running IE7 on my machine.

I would be greatful for more suggestions!

Thanks!

Based upon the other tips in here, I've come up this this method.

1. Highlight the message, and open in a separate window by going to File, Open, Selected Items.
Note: Opening the message by double-clicking on the message or pressing Ctrl-O doesn’t work. You must use the menu bar.
2. Highlight everything in the message by pressing Ctrl-A. (For some reason, the short-cut works for this step.)
3. Print the message by File, Print (or pressing Ctrl-P) and then chose Selection.

I’ve found this to work successfully, although if I don’t use the menu bar for Step 1, it doesn’t work. That may be why it hasn't worked for others.

Gotta love Microsoft! (I wish I could use Thunderbird at work...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back