Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook 2003 memory leak after reading several items

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulsaMatt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
US
I have a remote user who is running into a strange issue with Outlook 2003.

After he VPNs into the network and fires up Outlook, he can read about 10-12 emails with each email opening progressively slower. By the time he gets to the 10th-12th email Outlook will lock up, take up 99% CPU time and start leaking memory like crazy ... the memory usage climbs with no stop (we have stopped it when it was as high as 100MB).

The computer is a Dell D600 (1.8 GHz Pentium M, 512 MB RAM) running Office 2003.

His remote connection is via Comcast Cable. The network isnt timing out or anything.

If he force closes Outlook (via End Process) he can reopen Outlook and read another 10-12 emails. I am completely lost. Any ideas?

Matt Laski
Network Administrator
Pulsafeeder SPO

bump ..

Matt Laski
Network Administrator
Pulsafeeder SPO

I am having the same problem on my local system. Has a solution been found for this problem?

I have tried several things to fix the problem including creating a new profile and PST file. After reading a few emails CPU usage goes up to 100% and eventually I have to use Task Manager to kill Outlook.

My computer is a Compaq R3000 laptop, AMD 3400+, 1GB memory running Outlook 2003. Network connection via Charter cable.

Yes I did solve it on Friday. It turned out to be a result of the Dell Truemobile 300 Bluetooth card (and its software) in the laptop.

In a completely unrelated but fortunate turn of events, the BT card started failing (constantly uninstalling and reinstalling itself as if it was an external USB device that I kept plugging in and unplugging).

While I was trying to fix the users laptop in house (had to have him overnight it) ... the sound of WinXP finding and then unplugging the hardware constantly was driving me nuts. So I uninstalled the BT software and rebooted. Since he is a restricted user on the laptop he cant install hardware that needs a driver ... so the noise went away.

I figured I would give it one more try with the BlueTooth software uninstalled before I just reimaged the laptop ... and BOOM ... Outlook started working perfectly and has been doing so for 2 days now.

I am guessing Dell put some hooks in Outlook to do something with the Bluetooth (not sure what). Not exactly sure why as I have several other D600s with BT cards in them and while the BT cards are all failing, Outlook is not locking up on them. *shrug*

My guess for anyone else with a similar problem would be to try uninstalling any software that has hooks into Outlook and see if that helps *shrug*

Matt Laski
Network Administrator
Pulsafeeder SPO

Several weeks ago I installed bluetooth software on my laptop. After reading how you solved your problem I uninstalled the bluetooth software and lo and behold Outlook is now working correctly.

What is strange about my situation is how long it was between when I installed the bluetooth software and the Outlook problem starting. My next step was to uninstall and reinstall Office and if that didn't work I would have then reimaged. I can't thank you enough but I will try.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back