Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 Import Contacts to Update Not Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennycook

Technical User
May 14, 2004
US
I have exported some contacts out of Outlook 2003, cleaned up the data, and now I want to return the updated contact info into Outlook. But I don't want to replace the entire contact - I only want to update the fields that I am bringing back in. For example, I have added city, state, zip to the contact names, and I want to bring that data back in. But I want the e-mail to stay the same. Does this make sense? I want Outlook to respond the same way it would if I was creating a new contact, and it looks like a duplicate, and I have the option of updating the old contact with new contact data.

so when you are adding the data make sure all is correct and set it to overwrite dupes. I am confused why you dont want to overwrite if all you are doing is changing some data then the original (un-edited data) will still be intact. So just overwrite the old.

G

Thank you GlenLynam - Well, what you say is exactly what I want to do - but that's not what Outlook lets me do. I would like to write over the old data with new for address fields, and leave original data intact (like the e-mail) - but the only choice I get is "replace" and it overwrites the entire record. So, it erases the e-mail that's in there and leaves it blank. Do you know how to tell Outlook only update the fields I am bringing in?

My only solution now is to re-export all the data, index the records in excel and combine the new addresses with the correct original e-mails to my new addresses and re-import - that way when it over writes the record, at least ALL the new data goes in.

Assuming that you have exported to excel then do the replace, when you try and import click map custom fields from here you will be able to ommit the fields that yo dont want to import just highlight and drag to the right as per instructions.

Ifi were you i would backup its current state by exporting to pst, just in case ;0)

Please continue contact if this doesnt do ewhat you want.

Regards

Glen

If you have changed any part of the name, it will create a new contact when you import (even when specifying replace). That's how it works when importing from a .csv, in any case.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

GlenLynam - Thanks - Oh - I get you - just drag away from the right all those other fields in the map so they don't appear. Good idea. Even though nothing on left maps into those on right - could be because they are defined they do map "nothing". And yes - we did backup the pst - this is for a client of mine. I am always amazed how many people do not back up!
Flapeyre - thanks for the reminder - yes I knew about the name change thing when I started (thank god) because there was someone else doing the major cleaning and adding of addresses, and I told them even if you see a mispelling in the Name - DO NOT CHANGE IT. I just wish I had exported ALL the fields the first time - then I could have just brought it all back in without this problem. Thanks so much for your help.

if they are not mapped you will need to re map maybe it isnt picking up the fields, let me know how you get on.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back