Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 delayed send 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

longlivegoku

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Ok so I don't really think it's a delayed send. I think what is happening is the user's screen is not refreshing in Outlook for some reason. It shows the message in the outbox until someone either changes folders or a new message comes in. Is there a way to cure this? A refresh setting?? :-\

Thanks

This is a bug with OL2003 that is under investigation. It affects users connected to an Exchange server and manifests itself in that the the Inbox doesn't refresh itself unless the user switches folders. Sometimes the Outbox will remain with maiol ready to send until the user switches folder too, but usually it is the In Box that remains empty until some refresh is forced.

The underlying problem is that WindowsXP SP2 blocked some unsafe network protocol that Outlook uses!

Regards: tf1

So it's not a port issue then? I was able to disable the firewall and all seemed to work better. Is there no way to tell the firewall to allow what needs to be allowed? I would think you could at least allow the protocol that needs to be...but maybe that really isn't the answer if the protocol is that much of a threat. Any ideas? Do I just need to leave the firewall disabled for this to work?

Ed

Add outlook to the allowable programs for the windows firewall under SP2. We had this problem and once I added it to the firewall everything started to work fine. If you are using group policy is would be something like this depending on where outlook is installed:

%programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office\outlook.exe:*:enabled:Microsoft Outlook

---------------------------------------

Snap back to reality.....my bad. We already run a batch file to open ports...I guess I am just stuck on that idea and didn't think about being able to add programs. Will give that a try in the batch file as well...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back