Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 cache mode problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftertaf

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2004
EU
Hi all,

I know its a problem area using OLK2003 wirh exch 5.5, and wanting cache mode on.. but the server is now 500 km from the clients and management insist on using this cache mode to speed things up.

Wihout cache mode, users can access their mailbox, even if its not very fast.

With cache mode, we are getting a dialog box prompting for username/password/domain.

exch 5.5 is on a 200K SP4 server.

to help things (not), we are migrating from NT4 to 2003 domain, and updating cleints at the same time.
I have checked to make sure new ADa ccount is being used in exchange mailbox.. and like i said without cache mode he can read and send mail.

help or ideas anyone?

Aftertaf
________
I reserve the right to be wrong, be confused, be suffering because it is monday, or because it is nearly the weekend.

correct me if i am wrong, outlook cache mode only works with ex2k3 and out2k3. er?

-----
Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

couldn't be sure... what i've heard seems to say that.
but we've 'got it working' on some PCs with exch 5.5 as a server...

Aftertaf
Last time I checked, i wasn't Mike Lacey

As far as I know you can tick the tick box all you like but it'll only work when running from a 2003 server.

Iain

How are the sites connected?

Try adding the Exchange server to the clients Host file on the remote PC's and see if that helps the speed issues any.

Iain

OL2003 WILL work in cache mode with XC5.5.

You don't get the client-server compression features etc. however.

I had this problem until I turned on background processing and extended the "open retry delay" to 5000 in my anti-virus software.

cheers guys, i'll pass the word on...
:)

Aftertaf
Last time I checked, i wasn't Mike Lacey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back