Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTLOOK 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfguerra

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
US
I am not sure this is the right forum but I thought I'd start here.

I am running Outlook 2002 under XP Professional. I have applied all the patches so both my operating system as well as Outlook are up to date.

I am also running Norton Antivirus version 8.07.17C and Norton Internet Security 2002.

I used to be able to go to a web page, click on 'File/Send/Link by E-mail' to send a link via email. Now, when I do this operation, Outlook does create an outgoing email message BUT there is an information message at the top saying &quot;This message has not been sent. Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments: <xxxx.url>&quot;. xxxx is the string of characters that can either follow after the actual url name (e.g. for xxxx becomes 'init') or a truncated version of the url if there are no character strings after the url (e.g. for xxxx becomes '
As a test, I sent the emails to myself. I did receive the email but with another information message saying &quot;Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments: xxxx.url&quot;.

Any idea what could be causing this annoying problem? Obviously I can get around it by copying and pasting the url and then sending it in an email but it is an extra step that I didn't used to have to do.

Thanks!

If you type something like 'security settings' in the help bar (top right), you will get some options one of which is &quot;Attachment file types blocked by Outlook&quot;. Click on this and you will get a message which reads:
&quot;Attachment file types blocked by Outlook
There are two levels of attachment security. Access to level 1 files is blocked and can't be changed. When you receive an attachment with a level 2 file type, you will be prompted to save the file to your hard disk. If you use Microsoft Exchange Server, your administrator can add and remove file types for both levels of e-mail security. If a file type is added to both levels, it will be treated as a level 1 file type.&quot;
You then get a list of file types which includes URLs.

That's the why - so why it continues to give the option to send a link baffles me. I've also noticed that if I attach a file on the banned list to an e-mail it gives you an option on sending or not so what has happened to &quot;blocked and can't be changed&quot;?

Having said that, I've just gone to support.microsoft.com and you might find Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 290497 offers some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back