Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2002 freezes all the time!!!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US
Oh boy, I do hope this desperate message gets read. Please help!

My Outlook 2002 keeps on freezing. All I need to do is open it up, and click on a message or two. I have tried everything I know. I have
- disabled Word as my editor,
- run an antivirus check
- run Ad-aware
- updated Outlook to the latest patch etc
- changed the security level to the lowest, allowing all scripts etc
- I even ran a utility to fix the outlook inbox (SCANPST.EXE)
- I have also done a repair from within the Add/remove programs
- And yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office XP completely!

I know Outlook sucks, and I know I have other options. . . but I need to access my emails in Outlook, along with my calendar and notes etc etc, which I use very regularly; and keep it synced with my Palm.

Please suggest how I can resolve this!

Thanks...

PS: I so hope that I do not have to reformat and reinstall my laptop!
PS: I use a Toshiba Satellite, Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD, 2.8 mhz, with Windows XP Professional SP1.

Try this to start with:
Tools - Options - Other an see if Messenger is unchecked

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Hi Marcs41, yes, Messenger is unchecked.

HELP!

OK, netxt thing.
Put your PST aside for a moment and re-create the profile.
See if it still freezes using a completely new profile and PST.
If not, import the messages from the saved PST and check again.
Keep the copy!!

Hi Razu !

I have exactly the same problem.

I formatted and reinstalled windows 2k + SP3 last week.

I then installed office xp + SP3 with a slipstreamed install cd I made.

I immediatly set it with my .pst file without problem and i didn't use it so far. Yesterday I tried to open it to put my new mail account in, and it freezes....

I tried to move my pst file, but it then prompted me for the location of it, and doesn't open if I dont give any !

I tried the repair as well from the cd, but it's still stuck ... If I let it a few moment, it finally unfreezes, but after a few mouse clicks on mails, it freezes again ...

I now deinstalled office, and will try to reinstall it after reboot.

Could it be a SP3 issue ???

grant_lee

I have tried so many 'solutions'. I even tried transfering the pst files to another PC to see they would work there; thinking that if they did, then I would do a total reformat and reinstall of my laptop and just put the pst files back. Alas, the pst files did cause the same problems on the other PC (also running Office XP).

The next thing I did was to get the help of a friend who had Office 2000. I transferred the pst file there, and surprisingly, it did not cause the same problem.

But I did not want to be stuck with Office 2000! So here's what I did...

HERE'S WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME:

- I made several pst files on my friend's laptop (the one with Office 2000). One pst file for my emails from the year 2002 (2002.pst), one for 2003, and one for 2004.
- I then transferred all my emails to the appropriate pst files
- I then compressed each of the files and saw that they were now of a managable size each (300 - 450 MB each)
- I transferred them back to my laptop (Office XP again)... however, it still was not stable
- That's when I made ONE MORE pst file (current.pst) and used that as my default pst file for all new emails.
- My Outlook has been stable since then.

WHAT I BELIEVE THE PROBLEM WAS:

- I believe the main problem was a corrupt email message, or an appointment entry or something that I had in my INBOX recently. I tried deleting all the emails I did not need, but that did not work.
- The secondary problem was of course that my pst file was just too huge.
- I would suggest that if you use Outlook a lot, make several pst files, and break up your emails in a system that suits you
- I have also changed my habit of storing each and every email I get, and have decided to not send or keep the huge attachments that I sometimes deal with.

I hope this will be helpful to anyone with this problem! Thanks for all your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back