Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster999

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2001
US
I need help!

I just got done building a new computer here, and now I want to transfer the emails, contacts, and folder lists from the old HDD to the new one. The export will NOT work on the old machine, no matter what I try and so I have hooked in the old drive on the new system and I want to find where the files are stored on the HDD (I know where they are for Outlook Express, but I cant find them for Outlook) so that I can copy them over to the new drive and use them.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Achiever with Security Emphasis

The only way I know how to transfer email, contacts, calendar, etc is to do the File==>Import and Export function from within outlook2000. If you did not do the export from the old machine than you would not be able to import the mail to the new one. When you do an export function, the mail gets exported to a PST File (Do a search for *.pst files). You could then copy this to a CD if you have a CD/RW or a Zip disk if you have a Zip Drive. If you don't have a CD/RW or a ZIP Drive, than unless you are on a network you will not be able to get this file for importing on your new computer. If you do have the above, then you can import the PST file. So the key here is, you must be able to export your email, contacts, calendar items to a PST file from the old PC, and than copy this file to a Zip Disk or CD, then from the new PC run the import function from within outlook2000 to import your mail items.

Hope this helped?

That would be a great idea, except that I cannot get the Import/Export function to work on the old machine. It comes up with an error that closes out the program. So, I am stuck with trying to copy the files some other way.

Any more ideas, though? A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Achiever with Security Emphasis

How are you connecting to your email from the old machine? Are you connecting via a network? Are you successfully sending/receiving email in outlook?

In OL2000 the personal contacts are stored in a .pab file. That is the file you need to import. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

I can send and receive new mail, just cant get the old stuff.

I have hooked the old hard drive into the new machine so that i copy drive to drive - like through Windows Explorer.

Thanks. A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Achiever with Security Emphasis

Brad,

I have to disagree. PAB is Personal Address Book. If you do a search for *.pab there is no such file. When you export your contacts, and the rest of your email (I.E - Inbox, sent items, deleted items, contacts, tasks, etc) outlook exports this to a PST file. You do not have an option to export this to a PAB file. But, if the contacts were in a pab file you would be able to locate this file would you not?

Webmaster, what is the error message you are getting when you attemp to do the import and export? Can you give me a step by step how you are doing the import and export from outlook and then I can try and duplicate on my end. Also, again, what is the error you are getting?

Zoe

Yes you're correct I apologize they are stored as .pst files. Outlook stores the contacts as a .pst if you are using Internet Mail or it gets stored on the server if you are using Exchange. You can export contacts into a .pst file and then import it. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

You can manually move Outlook's .pst file behind it's back when it's not looking. [sleeping]

What I mean is copy the .pst file from the old computer (with Outlook NOT running) and put it in the same file where the new computer keeps it's .pst file.

Now you can either import from the old file or use the tools/services command to add it to the new version of Outlook. (Now, after saving and closing Outlook and can disconnect from the original .pst file if you choose to.)

The bestthing to do would be to copy all the files from Inbox and store them in a folder with and extension .msg and then copy the contacts and save themin an access file or as pst or pab and then once u have installed outlook on the new HDD just get back to the old HDD and folder where u have stored the .msg files and copy all and paste them with the mouse pointing to your inbox in the outlook .similarly with the contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back