Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000 not updating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheshireDan

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
GB
I am running Outlook 2000 SP3 with Exhange 2000 running on a mail server with the MS Exhange Server service. When I am sent an email it does not appear in my inbox until change to a different folder. This seems to prompt the software to update. (OS is XP Pro SP1). No one else on the network seems to have this problem.

Does anyone recognise the symptoms? - I've never seen it before.

I am not real sure if I understand the problem. Is the XP Pro PC the only XP Pro PC on the network?
What kind of software update are you referring to?

Thanks for your interest.

We have several PC's running XP pro and O2k on the network and all the others work fine.

Let me try explaining the issue another way. If I have Outlook open displaying Outlook Today then the 'Messages' section shows Inbox 0, Drafts 0 and Outbox 0. If someone sends me an email the Inbox value should change to 1 but it does not, it stays as 0 until I do something - for example click on the Sent Items folder (or any other folder). If I then go back to Outlook Today the value against Inbox now shows 1 (also I now have a (1) against my Inbox folder).

In other words I could get sent 100 emails but I would not know that I had received anything at all until I changed to a different folder.

That was it! I disabled the firewall on the Local Area connection and all is now working great. - I had looked at the MS Knowledge Base but had not managed to find this one. Thanks.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back