Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000: User's calendar and reminders are gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaoboda

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
Howdy all... Just a quick question and I'm sure you Exchange/Outlook experts can answer it.

One of my users had their calendar and reminders disappear during what looks like a freak disk happening last week. I have backups, but my question is to where the calendar is kept.

Is a user's calendar info kept in thier mailbox store or is it in their Windows profile? I'd think profile, but I'm wanting to be absolutely sure before I go and overwrite something I didn't need to.

Thanks a million.

Depends on where they have mail setup to be delivered. In Outlook go to TOOLS - SERVICES and then select the DELIVERY tab.

If the mail is set to be delivered to their Exchange mailbox then the default calendar is on the Exchange server. If it is set to deliver to a personal folder then the default calendar is the desiganted personal folder file. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Interesting... thanks for the response although now I don't know which to believe. I spoke to another person about the same problem and he said that the calendar information is stored in the person's profile.

Anyways, I'll try what you mentioned.

Try this...
Go to TOOLS - SERVICES
On the services tab, highlight the user's personal folders and cilck properties
The path will point you where his .pst file is located. It is this .pst file that contains the calendar information. *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

Just to expand on what you heard from the other source. The profile basically consists of the items that are installed under TOOLS - SERVICES. Items such as Microsoft Exchange server, Personal Folders, Outlook Address Book, Personal Address Book, etc.

But none of that tells you where exactly is the default location for the calendar when an Exchange server is involved or if multiple personal folders are installed.

So though the information you received in a way is correct it is also incomplete. I hope this further explains the issue. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Sorry but I have to be anal because I did not like the wording of my last post.

The DELIVERY tab is also part of the Outlook profile. The only difference from what I advised is that since you would have Outlook opened you are already in the profile.

If you have Outlook closed and are going through the Control Panel to access the mail profile then you have to select the profile if more that one profile exists.

It really is six of one, half a dozen of the other.

(There I feel better.) [wavey2] joegz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back