Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 - The name could not be resolved ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

libroos

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
SG
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install and configure Outlook 2000 from a Chinese Edition of Windows 98 to connect to Exchange 2000 Server. However, I met with one error:-"The name could not be resolved.." whenever after I put in the Server name and also the mailbox name and click on the "Check Name".

Anyone come across this symptom before? Any advice/solutions? Thank you.

From the network neighbourhood, I can browse the domain, connect to the Server. Using the outlook web access, I can access the emails as well. However, when I use Outlook 2000 to connect to the Email Server, it just can't connect and the error is shown.

Please advise. Thanks.

Regards,
libroos

If you are running a downlevel client like Win98 try checking your WINS settings in TCP/IP properties. WINS is required for NetBIOS name resolution as 9.x doesn't use DNS.

Hope this helps,

SL

Might be worth making sure that the mailbox is not hidden - Exchange can't resolve those...

Charlotte

Hi SpotLizard,

Thank you for replying. I've configured WINS also, however, not sure if I have missed out any steps. Do you have any fail-safe settings for the mentioned WINS? Thank you.

Hi LeCras,

Thank you too for replying. I've checked the mailbox settings, the checkbox was unchecked, thus not been hidden. Do you have any other advanced settings that I may have overlooked? Thanks.

By the way, using another English Edition Windows 98 SE has no problem at all connecting to the mailboxes using Outlook 2000. Hence, this symptom/problem is really wierd.

Please advise further, or anyone whom have come across similar problem and has solved, please advise. Thanks.

Rgds,
libroos

Check the WINS server IP addresses on the 98 machine that can connect and make sure that they are the same on the Chinese system. If file and printer sharing is enabled on the Chinese machine go into the properties and make sure that Browse Mastering is disabled.

If everything checks out then it might be related to the character set that the OS is using. If I remember, thereare several forms of Chinese character sets (Simplified and Traditional being most common). I had a feeling that traditional may be similar to Japanese, in as much as it uses a double-byte character set. A mix of English apps on a Japanese OS is not always a good one and caused me several nightmares during my teching days. I just wonder if Chinese has the same issues ? Are you using an English 102 key keyboard ?

Regards.

SL

Hi SpotLizard,

I'm using U.S (English) Standard 101 keys keyboard. Have checked the WINS Server IP addresses on the 98 machine, and had also set the local dns host file on the Chinese Edition Windows 98.

Not sure if I need to set any other advanced settings or not. By the way, are the symptoms similar when u use Outlook 2000 with Japanese Windows 98?

Rgds,
libroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back