Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 .pst file information needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skygoth

Programmer
Apr 15, 2001
US
I recently formatted my harddrive and reinstalled Windows. Just like every OTHER time I did this, I backed up all my files, including my outlook.pst file, so I could keep my email (and favorites and other things I backed up, but they aren't important right now) -- but for the first time ever, something strange happened. When I opened up the file, which is 60 megs (I recently cleaned it out from the 140 it was before), it acted like there was no email in it. Now, it's not claiming to be corrupt, or anything, but it appears as though the table of contents has been screwed up.

Is there any way to extract the email from the file? Given that it's 60 megs, I can only assume that the information is all still there, but I have no knowledge as to how to retrieve it. If it takes effort and time ,that's fine. I would be very happy to get that email back. (I think I'll also take to backing up the file periodically now, as I do other important files :))

Thanks for any help.

--Nathan

Have you tried running the "Outlook Inbox Repair" utility (scanpst.exe)?

You should be able to find this in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\ folder (or a subfolder under Mapi). (You might want to use the Windows "Find" utility to locate this program on your hard drive).

Before trying this, I suggest you make a backup copy of the PST file and store it in a separate folder before running the utility...just in case.

Good Luck

thanks, but that didn't work either. sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back