Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loonygirl

Technical User
Jun 9, 2004
GB
The splash screen on Office 2000 on one of our users PC's shows an incorrect name. I think the resolution is to enter her correct name in the screen which appears when you first run Outlook where you have to enter your name and initials.

I have deleted her profile, and there are no .pst or .prf files left on the computer, however when I reinstall, I still do not get the screen which I want up - it goes straight to her inbox. Right clicking on the Outlook icon shows there are no profiles there.

We're using Office 97 and Outlook 2000 - so is it possibly a clash between the two??

Does anyone know how to get the screen up where you enter your name?! Or know how to change the name on the splash screen?

Thanks,

Sarah

on the desktop, there is (hopefully) an outlook icon.

Right click on it and select properties.
Click on profiles
Add
And if there's an option to always use this profile, get rid of the tick.

Get the user to log in, a list should appear with their name in it, select it and click ok, then type in their details and click ok/login.

Wait a few secs and close outlook.

Wait again, go back to the desktop, right click on Outlook and properties, profiles and put a tick in the box.

When the user logs in next time, it should default to have their name/domain in the correct boxes and just wait for the password.

I think this should help, can't guarantee it though, sorry ;)

Aubs

Thanks....but that's not what I'm looking for!

I'm looking to change the details on the splash screen at the start - what I mean is the screen which says Microsoft Outlook at the top, and then underneath has your name, company and Product ID. The name here is incorrect and I need to change it!

Thanks,

Sarah

~Ahh, you mean the "Licenced To" bit?

It's the same as in Help --> About

Aubs

Hi,

Yes, but I can't change it from Help-About??

I've now also done a search through the registry and the incorrect name doesn't appear to be held in the registry ?

Thanks,

Sarah

In Word, Go to... Tools --> Options

Under the "General" tab, you may (hopefully) see the name of the person who Outlook was previously registered to.

Change it there. and save.

Close Outlook & Word, then re-open them.

Hopefully it will have changed.

Aubs

Sorry, that was in Excel!!

It's the same in Word, except I think it is in the "User Information" tab.

Aubs

Unfortunately, this works with Office 2000 and Outlook 2000.
However the machine in question has Office 97 and Outlook 2000, which means Outlook 2000 does not pick this setting up :(

Thanks for your help so far....any more suggestions?! :)

Sarah

Funnily enough we tried this, and we managed to change the company name, but not the user name???

A fresh install of outlook doesn't solve the problem either. We removed Office and installed Outlook on it's own, but the wrong name is still showing up

I know in Office 2000, if you go into one of the other apps(eg, word), go to tools/options and select user information, make the change there, it applies to all MS office apps that are opened. Is there an option like that in Office 97?

Crosser - yes.
The problem here is that we are using Office 97, and Outlook 2000.

My machine is Office 2000/Outlook 2000, and I can change my name fine.

However, every other machine has Office 97/Outlook 2000, and for some reason, Outlook 2000 will not pick up the Office 97 name/company settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back